• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading tripod/head for my ES80 (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my Opticron aluminium tripod (think the model is 42704) and panhead for my ES80 ED.

Do you think I woud see a marked improvement in performance from a Manfrotto + fluid head setup? It goes without saying, I'd rather not spend the cash if it's not really worth it! (Budget of about £200 if required)

It occurred to me to keep the tripod and just change the head. Does that sound sensible? Weight isn't a huge issue but the lighter, the better whilst maintaining stability out in the windy west coast of Scotland!

Hi Dave,

I see Opticron now show the Manfrotto 701HDV Panhead as an optional extra for their tripods and state that 'it is suited for use with ES 80 & 100, HR 80 telescopes'. I have the same tripod as you and find that the legs are quite stable and give good support but, while the 42700 head is pretty good, it will probably struggle slightly with an 80mm scope. Upgrading the head to the Manfrotto looks as if it should be the cheapest way to gain a worthwhile improvement. I have been using a Nikon ED50 but have just bought a heavier scope so I will be interested to see what responses you get to your query as I am considering the same move.

Ron

Nice one Dave. Let's hope it doesn't rock your scope! As you say you have ordered it, I assume you are going for a new one. I will be interested to see how you get on.

I tried my Nikon Fieldscope III on the Opticron tripod and head on Sunday and it worked very well. This scope has a reputation for being a bit back-heavy but it didn't sag at all, so I will see how it goes. The only problem was that whilst carrying it about, it unscrewed the head from legs slightly. I will have to tighten it up a bit more securely. I remember you had this problem when you first got your tripod.

Ron

Yes that's right Ron. When I first got the scope I was something of a novice and it actually took me quite some time to work out that the slight wobble I was experiencing was not normal, and could be rectified by tightening the head/legs screw.

As you guessed, I've ordered the head brand new. When it comes to my optics, I just want them to be in perfect working order and all shiny out of the box, and so I have to pay the price!

I had a look at carbon fibre legs too. Then I double checked the weight of my own setup. The aluminium legs from Opticron are actually quite light in comparison with leading brands. I decided the money saving trumped the weight saving (typical Scot!).

Fingers crossed this will provide me with the improvement in performance I am seeking. I will let you know. I'll be back in Scotland to try it out in early March.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back