• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1d mk111 (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Hi all could someone help please just got canon 1d mk111 tried it out for first time used centre focus point as I have always done most of shots were on the soft side I have 600m lense , canon . I am sure there was something on here a while ago , I have always had 40d, and 7d cheers dave

I assume you mean 600mm lens.

Was anything sharp? Anywhere? If so it's likely that your shutter speed was fast enough. (If not raise the shutter speed to 1/2000 or thereabouts and try again.) So assuming something was sharp, you now need to optimise the AF-MA (in the Custom Functions part of the menu) for that lens on your camera. It's possible that a previous owner has already done the optimisation for his lens, and it's unlikely to be correct for yours. Spend time getting the AF-MA right for your lens at around the ranges you shoot at, and the 1D III will do very well for you.
I normally take time optimising the AF-MA in my garden at around 10m range, and then checking again at a local birding venue. You will need to do this for most lens and extender combinations.

I think the 1d3 focus issues only manifested themselves in certain uncommon situations, not as a matter of course. I'd look at MA in the first instance. Or of course technique, as lack of sharpness is mostly due to operator error.

Check your 1D3 out on your other lenses and if they show similar problems I think you may need to take it back. Also check to see if it is front/back focusing and make sure that you test it in Single Shot AF as it can hunt a bit on stationery subjects in Servo mode.

Cheers guys I know some had a focus problem but this one had the code which didn't , might be me it's the focusing points I am confused with read so much , tried it out on Friday using off centre focus point seem sharper might be more complex camera than I am used to

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back