• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickadee (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
Living in St. Louis, MO we get both carolina and black-capped chickadees. I'm not 100% positive which I photographed, but I'm leaning towards black-capped based on tail length and the extension of the black bib. Any thoughts? Unfortunately, I didn't hear it make a call before it flew away.

Attachments

• chickadee.jpg
    chickadee.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 248
  • chickadee2.jpg
    chickadee2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 246
Hi Lassa8,

I'm going to go the other way, and say Carolina Chickadee, as the white fringes on the secondaries are not matched by any whitish fringing on the greater coverts.

Michael

I've seen both, but I ID'd them the lazy way - on range (in Canada and in the Carolinas) - so I've never mugged up on the differences. But I've just been looking at Kenn Kaufmann's chapter in his "Advanced Birding".

He says that the "more white in the wings" field mark for Black-capped is widely misinterpreted as both species have pale edgings to the secondaries (white in Black-capped, grey in Carolina). The critical area is the greater coverts.

In Black-capped these have broad white outer edges contrasting with the dark grey inner webs and with the dark grey tertial centres. (They can be obscure on worn birds in summer.)

In Carolina the greater coverts have grey outer edges, hardly paler than the inner webs. Thus they look uniformly medium grey, often contrasting with the paler edgings of the secondaries.

Bib: Carolina Chickadee has a neat, even lower border; Black-capped's is more uneven with some white feather edgings in the lower part of the black area (thus, I would suppose, looking more "untidy").

Tail length: Black-capped is proportionately longer-tailed than Carolina.

On all these points, your bird would seem to me to be a Carolina. Compare this Black-capped:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17814/password//sort/1/cat/all/page/2

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back