• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veery? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I was watching a pair of American Robins picking up worms about half an hour ago. I thought I saw movement to my extreme right. Sure enough the bird below was wandering around the flower bowl there. It is closest to a Veery, but I'd like an expert opinion to be sure.

BTW, the only thrush in the New York bird guide is the American Robin! No Veerys, no wood thrush, no swainson's thrush, no bicknell's thrush, no gray-cheeked thrush, no hermit thrush, no nothing except the american robin!

Here's the picture!

Attachments

• bird to ID.jpg
    bird to ID.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 232
Hi 'Gthang',
Yes,this certainly seems to be a Veery.The clean underparts with virtually no spotting point towards this species.Nice pic!
Harry

yup, ill agree with Harry on that. The New York guide should have those thrushes in there, but perhaps its a "common birds of New York guide." I dont know if you heard the Veery, but they have the most amazing song I have ever heard, but I guess all the thrushs do...

The New York bird guide is "Birds of New York Field Guide" by Stan Tekiela.

I'm not sure why the various thrushes I listed are not in this book. But thank god I have other sources, such as my two Sibley guides, my National Geographic guide, my North American Encyclopedia To Birds, and my Field Guide to Birds of Costa Rica...

The one Veery I've seen was a lot more rusty on the tail than this - but I can't see what else it could be. Great bird!

Thanks for the replies. So both new birds I saw today were positively IDed by me... Not to rain on your fun.

If you want to post comments, I have added the Veery pic to my gallery.

Thanks, everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back