• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats this BOP? (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
Hi all

My Dad saw this bird in Gloucestershire a few weeks ago.

My first impression was of a harrier, but apparently it was bigger than a Buzzard and barred on the chest.

I know the photo isn’t great, but does anyone have any ideas.
It was apparently seen first sitting on a post at the roadside.
I know buzzards show a lot of variety in plumage but he says it was "barred a lot, a bit like a Goshawk" ?

Rich

Attachments

• bop.jpg
    bop.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Only that it was "huge" he said "seemed a lot bigger than a Buzzard"

Dad drove back to try and get a Picture and it flew.

Any known escapes in that area i wounder.....

Rich

Last edited:
Looks very "eagley". Not an escaped Steppes or Golden from Cotswold Falconry at Moreton in Marsh? Did your dad notice any trailing jesses?

It certainly looks bulkier than a buzzard or harrier and the "short" tail would seem to indicate an eagle.

My thoughts were the same, the long head says to me eagle, but i was struggling to find an eagle with such swept back wings? I don't think it was one of the larger eagles tho.

Ashley,
Do you know where in Gloucestershire your Dad saw the bird. Although, obviously, an escapee can cover many hundreds/thousands of miles, it may be an escapee remaining local to its 'home' and there are several birds of prey centres here in Gloucestershire. Might be a clue in where it was seen.

Colin

Location, my Dad says:

"between Ross-on-Wye and Gloucester; probably somewhere near Huntley. About four miles to the north of there my road atlas shows a Bird of Prey Centre – but there may be no connection. Near (RSPB) Highnam Wood".

Anyone from around there?

Rich

Last edited:
Yes, I know the area well and the bird of prey centre your map shows you is the National Bird of Prey Centre at Newent, just a stones throw from Highnam Woods and Huntley. Their URL is

http://www.nbpc.co.uk/

Might be worth giving them an email and enclosing the photo. They may shed some light on it either by iding the bird or at least their opinion (they are the experts) or they may deny it cos it is one of theirs that got away.

Colin

PS - My apologises Rich in that I opened my earlier post by referring to Ashley when it was yourself that I should have been addressing.

Last edited:
No problem Colin ;)

Hi all, thanks for trying to help. :t:

I mailed the national bird of prey centre and got a reply from Jemima Parry-Jones herself.

Unfortunately she didn't admit to any escapes, and suggested it may have been a Buzzard.
Obviously I didn't see it myself so I don't know, but I think it unlikely as my dad has seen plenty of buzzards before and he is convinced this was not one.

Perhaps we will never know!

I assume there has been no other sighting of large BOP in your area Colin?

Rich

Hi Redwing
If that shot was taken in Israel I would say it's a yong Spotted Eagle (Aqulia clanga). Might also be a Lesser-spotted Eagle (Aqulia pomarina) but that one is much smaller - about a Buzzard's size. Anyway, the bird's "havy" wings and short tail makes it an eagle.
Hope I was helpfull.

I have little experience of Eagles, but it does appear most of you think that it was an Eagle of some kind.

Thanks for helping.

Keep your eyes peeled up there Colin.

Regards

Rich

Last edited:
Been trawling through old threads. My word this looks big, long-winged and dark.... if you told me it was an Imperial eagle I'd not argue... did its true identity ever emerge?

It could of course all be a trick of the camera and its "just a buzzard"

Poorly focussed telephoto 'grabs', 'though the window' shots and slow shutter speeds can all add their own effects.

Area and habits point to a Common Buzzard.

Size references are only accurate by reference to a known comparison or familiarity with the area.

Does appear somewhat 'eaglish' though......

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back