• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Marine Conservation Zone's - threat (1 Viewer)

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
United Kingdom
I've received a note that the proposed MCZs around our coasts may not go ahead as planned and that the Goverment will make an announcement on Monday outlining the reductions within the scheme - it's not good news for our sealife and birds in regard to their conservation now and in the future.

See http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/saveourmczs

Many thanks for reading this. Mods, please move if in incorrect forum

Only 30 (of the 127 proposed) to go to public consultation...

Guidance given to stakeholders was that MCZ's would be designated based on 'best available' evidence. My understanding is that the rationale behind cutting the number to take to consultation is that 'best available' isn't good enough, and that 'good' evidence is required for any proposed MCZ to survive the cut. I've been involved in the process (to represent the views of nature-based tourism in the northeast, and as leader of an extensive research project in the North Sea) and I'm struggling to understand exactly what 'good' means; proposed MCZ's were only designated as such if there was a concensus among stakeholders that there were good reasons to include them, and that included consideration of all available evidence, and a judgement as to whether that evidence should be used.

What exactly is better than 'best available'?

cheers
martin

Only 30 (of the 127 proposed) to go to public consultation... Guidance given to stakeholders was that MCZs would be designated based on 'best available' evidence. My understanding is that the rationale behind cutting the number to take to consultation is that 'best available' isn't good enough, and that 'good' evidence is required for any proposed MCZ to survive the cut. I've been involved in the process (to represent the views of nature-based tourism in the northeast, and as leader of an extensive research project in the North Sea) and I'm struggling to understand exactly what 'good' means; proposed MCZ's were only designated as such if there was a concensus among stakeholdersthat there were good reasons to include them, and that included consideration of all available evidence, and a judgement as to whether that evidence should be used. What exactly is better than 'best available'? Cheers martin

Martin,
I worked for some time within a Ministry and quickly found out that departments issuing guidelines hated anyone asking them for terms to be explained (in this case 'best-available evidence' and 'good evidence'), but hated even more when asked where and when these explanations had first been published. Their embarrassment often was because the explanations had been first made, or published, after the guidelines had been issued. This could be a fruitful line to pursue...particularly if their 'definition' of 'evidence' can't be found in the OED...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back