• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience-Review Canon EOS 1DX (1 Viewer)

Obviously the 1DX gives far superior images - compared to say the 7D - of birds that are a reasonable size in the frame, especially at high ISOs, but very many of the bird photos I take are of rarities which are 'miles away', with the bird often about the size of the central focussing square in my 7D.
I would be most interested to know how the 1DX compares when cropping to such extreme degrees. A comparison of a small passerine photographed at about 150m with say a 7D and an 800mm f5.6 or a 600 f4 and the same bird at the same range with the same lens but a 1DX would be most enlightening. Does the much higher number of 'pixels per bird' of the 7D not count heavily in its favour when cropping to this extreme degree? And does the 1DX not really come into its own as long as one is not cropping to such 'rare bird extremes'?

good point steve, this is what i think also, i said this in an earlier post, i go full frame when the camera has a lot more MP than they have now ..

I would be most interested to know how the 1DX compares when cropping to such extreme degrees. A comparison of a small passerine photographed at about 150m with say a 7D and an 800mm f5.6 or a 600 f4 and the same bird at the same range with the same lens but a 1DX would be most enlightening. Does the much higher number of 'pixels per bird' of the 7D not count heavily in its favour when cropping to this extreme degree? And does the 1DX not really come into its own as long as one is not cropping to such 'rare bird extremes'?
Steve,the simple answer to this is that anyone who is interested in getting quality images would not even bother taking shots at such distances. shooting from this distance would yield nothing more than a 'record' shot no matter what gear you used.
If you just want record shots of distant birds then something like the tiny SX50 is far better than something like the 7D!!!!. Attached is a shot taken from around 800 feet hand held at 2400mm(full frame equiv). Both shots taken from the same spot at the same bird. Obviously nothing more than a record shot but my question to you is why even bother with a DSLR if you just want a record shot??

Attachments

• land1.jpg
    land1.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 134
  • corm1.jpg
    corm1.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 167
Excellent example, Roy. Although the cormorant Looks a bit too razor-sharp in contrast.....
Thanks Johannes, I fully realise that this is nothing more than a poor record shot, my point being that if you want long distance record shots then a little lightweight 'superzoom' is even better than a DSLR crop camera IMHO.
On the other hand if you want top quality bird images then a full frame Camera will give you just that. Do not get me wrong as I am the 7D's biggest fan but I can fully understand folk with top lenses preferring a Full frame.

Last edited:
Thanks Johannes, I fully realise that this is nothing more than a poor record shot, my point being that if you want long distance record shots then a little lightweight 'superzoom' is even better than a DSLR crop camera IMHO.
On the other hand if you want top quality bird images then a full frame Camera will give you just that. Do not get me wrong as I am the 7D's biggest fan but I can fully understand folk with top lenses preferring a Full frame.

No, no, everything ok. I do not think, that this is a poor record shot. It is a good shot – maybe a bit too much Photoshop. But your point is completely right, if you are a birder who wants long distance record shots mainly for documentation then a little lightweight tele with a DSLR crop camera is perfect. It is suitable and the weight is an issue to.
Besides the crop factor, another issue is the EOS 1 DX capability to shoot top quality bird images in available light, making the full frame Camera concept (with big lenses) a must in certain conditions. The blog you will find here: http://www.bird-lens.com/2013/11/30/canon-eos-1dx-some-aspects-of-dynamic-range-and-noise/

Cheers
Johannes

my point being that if you want long distance record shots then a little lightweight 'superzoom' is even better than a DSLR crop camera IMHO.
That's interesting, Roy. Thank you. Maybe I should get myself a superzoom.
But, of course, not all my birds are at record shot distance, so I still want to carry my 800mm and DSLR (currently a 7D) for when they might be a bit closer. I'm really always carrying it hoping for a fairly good shot but prepared to take a distant record shot if necessary, so I'd still be interested in how the 1DX compares to the 7D at such extreme range. If anyone has both the 1DX and the 7D plus a 600mm or 800mm lens and could provide the comparison of such a hugely cropped image I'd find that really interesting. My guess is that the 7D would win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back