• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of selling my 100-400L (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Thinking of selling my 100-400L for a 300 F4 L. Not using the zoom much. Use my 400L 5.6 most of the time. But need a lens to allow for closer focusing when required at times. i.e. chasing warblers in close during migration. What do you think?

I think you have two len's which essentially do the same thing....most of the time I find myself using the 400 and only the 400 and never need a lens with less range, unless I am shooting hummingbirds and in that case I use a 200...

Sell one of them...

Funnily enough I have the 400 and was thinking of getting the 100-400 as well to make use of the IS when light levels are low in winter. Is this not a good plan?

I replaced my 100-400 with a 300 F4 L IS and found it to be a far better lens in all respects (except at 299mm or less) than the 100-400. Also I could crop the 300 F4 images more so I didn't feel the loss of 100mm.
I now have the 300 F2.8 but I really don't want to sell my F4 - I just cannot justify having 2 300mm lenses!

I replaced my 100-400 with a 300 F4 L IS and found it to be a far better lens in all respects (except at 299mm or less) than the 100-400. Also I could crop the 300 F4 images more so I didn't feel the loss of 100mm.
I now have the 300 F2.8 but I really don't want to sell my F4 - I just cannot justify having 2 300mm lenses!

The 300mm is a great lens...I had it and was very pleased. Two things though in regards to the 300. First, I often used it with a TC to obtain range, so keep that in mind. Second, I seem to feel the 400 is just a better lens optically. Not sure why other than I love my images better. That might be due to the fact that I was shooting with the TC all the time and am now comparing it to just the plain prime 400.

The IS on the 300 is nice to have but it really doesn't make too much of a difference if you are shooting birds and matching shutter speed to range correctly. I never miss the IS on my 400, nor do I miss having a range of 100-399.

Thinking of selling my 100-400L for a 300 F4 L. Not using the zoom much. Use my 400L 5.6 most of the time. But need a lens to allow for closer focusing when required at times. i.e. chasing warblers in close during migration. What do you think?

My 100-400L is a super sharp one and I have been in love with it until I saw the results from 300 f4IS. Go and sell one to grab the prime..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back