• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Bunting (Warks) (1 Viewer)

Periwinkle

Tame Valley Birder
This bunting was Photographed by Steve Seal at a feeding station in Warwickhire on 16th April. It hasn't been seen since despite searching. Has anybody got any ideas?

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 317
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 368
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 322
AStevenson said:
Aberrant reed bunting for me - ignore the yellow and it'd just be reed surely?

The bird was described as smaller than a reed bunting. Also note the grey nape and bill shape/colour.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Crossed my mind, but you see so many aberrant Reed Bunting pics that I felt that was most likely.

Stephen.

There is a similar coloured Reed Bunting on Surfbirds put on for ID discussion, the photo was taken in Essex - looks similar but not as much yellow.

Whitethroat said:
Strange bird. Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and especially Cirl Bunting come into my mind.

Eckart

Very unlikely to be Cirl Bunting that far from Devon and Dorset, but I do agree that it looks most like a Cirl.

What is the habitat like?

Sean

Sean F said:
Very unlikely to be Cirl Bunting that far from Devon and Dorset, but I do agree that it looks most like a Cirl.

What is the habitat like?

Sean

There was a Cirl Bunting on Orkney a couple of years back. I would'nt rule it out on distribution.

Considering face pattern is Cirl x Reed a possibility? Note the reddish scapulars, also.

Another in the long and developing list of funny looking Reed Buntings. Its weird, but nothing like as weird as the last one we had on here! The one that looked like it had met a House Sparrow

Aren't juvenile reed buntings yellowish sometimes? Could this be a late developer from last year??????

P.S. new to this and crap at bunting id - but learning!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back