• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Stint? (1 Viewer)

Charles Harper

Régisseur
OK, let's get serious. I'm posting the following stint on behalf of Saskbirder. It appeared in Saskatchewan last week. What do you think it is?

Attachments

• stint.jpeg
    stint.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 394
Fairly hard one to call, I'd like to see some more pics in different poses.

But I'd go for two likely possibilities:
1. The classic stint-watcher's howler - adult summer Sanderling being confusing by being in atypical habitat. This bird does give the impression of being on the large side for a stint, which would support that, as does the bill length. But I may be mis-judging the size on a lone photo. If a clear view of the foot can be had, the absence of a hind toe is conclusive evidence for this species.

2. Little Stint. This is otherwise the best possibility, matching well on plumage features. The head, upper breast and lesser coverts patterns are wrong for Red-necked Stint, so it isn't that.

Michael

Clarification

Sorry for the confusion, Charles. Yesterday,this bird was at the Minot Sewage Lagoons. ( North Dakota) Apparently, there were many photo's taken. This is the only one that I have seen.

According to a recent post the bird has now left and has been identified as a Little Stint by Steve Easley, a birder with some experience with this species in Africa.

I agree it's a Little Stint, but I'm interested in the comment about seeing them in Africa. Do they moult into breeding plumage before they migrate?

Darrell

Hi Charles,
Sorry for the late reply,but I agree with the identification as adult Little Stint.Red-necked Stint can be conclusively ruled out,as Michael said,and I believe that Sanderling can also be ruled out on a few features:
1)the throat is clearly white or whitish.Sanderling would have a Red-necked-like orange "bib",albeit not unmarked as in that species
2)the structure of the bird looks better for Little Stint than for Sanderling
3)the upperparts of Sanderling should show more prominent black centres to the mantle feathers,leading to the bird looking quite dark above.
Harry H

Is Baird's Sandpiper been considered? I've seen lots of Baird's looking like this bird. Very buffy, longish body look similar. I haven't seen Little Stint. I also can't tell size. Just a thought, Van

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back