• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twite ?? (1 Viewer)

Hi

The grey in the head means this is a Linnet. There is no black in the face at the bill base so it's not a Redpoll sp.

Mark

The heavy mantle streaking, strong greater & median covert wingbars and lack of prominent pale secondary fringes rule out Linnet.

It is either Twite or Lesser Redpoll; I'm struggling to decide which. I've an idea newly-fledged redpolls lack the black face patch or only have a very small one; if that is true (I can't find any definitive info), then I'd go for just-fledged Lesser Redpoll.

Michael

Looking again, I think the face is enough turned away for any black face patch to be hidden. I'm coming down more for juvenile Lesser Redpoll.

Michael

You are right Michael. Recently fledged Redpoll shows no black at the base of the bill. A Linnet would also have a much greyer bill than this bird.

Darrell

Hi,
Looks more like a juv.Lesser Redpoll to me.Have noticed more than usual this summer,so they may have had a good breeding season(of course,maybe I was just in suitable breeding habitat more often?).
Harry H

hi again,

I'll concede the wing bars aren't good for Linnet, I was concentrating on the head with my initial ID. Is it my monitor or is the head grey brown? Do you think the bill is too big/strong looking for Redpoll? What about the seemingly long tail?
Juv Linnets can have a streaked mantle. I would have thought the black eye stripe would have continued into the loral area if it was a Redpoll.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back