• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater ID--Turkish Waters (1 Viewer)

SueO

I've tried to id this bird but it seems that there is a disagreement of names. Can someone tell me what the common and scientific name of this shearwater is? Thanks again.

Attachments

• shearwater.JPG
    shearwater.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 351
  • shearwater flying.JPG
    shearwater flying.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 354
Hi all!

What are the differences between the 2? From what I've read they can be almost identical when seen in flight, sea etc.

Cheers!

Dimitris

Dimitris said:
Hi all!

What are the differences between the 2? From what I've read they can be almost identical when seen in flight, sea etc.

Cheers!

Dimitris
Said to be indistinguishable in the field, but Scopoli's is smaller, has a less massive bill, less grey on chin and throat, and has a prominent white wedge on the inner web of the primaries.

There is a rather obvious difference in the distribution of white on the inner wing tips, reported some time ago in Dutch Birding. Not that it'll be very helpful at sea... also because of apparent intermediates: http://www.magikbirds.com/image.asp?title_id=943&show_thumbnails=False
DNA research has shown that morphology and DNA match (there is a population of Cory's Shearwater in the Mediterranean near Almería). I think this supports the Dutch treatment nicely: E. Gómez-Díaz, J. González-Solís, M.A. Peinado, R.D.M. Page. Phylogeography of the Calonectris shearwaters using molecular and morphometric data. Mol Phylogenet Evol, in press.

Thanks Mike and Xeno.I'll leave these guyz a few 1000 years so that they become even more different :p.

I suppose then that most of the birds I've seen in Greek waters are Scopoli's?

Cheers!

Dimitris

Thanks for the id Lou. I must say that unless a person was very familar with shearwaters, it would be nearly impossible to id at sea. I could barely keep the bird in view with my bins. The birds were very fast and would disappear behind waves before I could see them. I guessed with the camera. I was unsuccessful many times with the 'shoot and hope' method. We finally sailed close to a stationary fishing vessel that had gulls and the shearwaters hanging around it. This is where I got my not so good shots. Wouldn't have had a prayer otherwise.

Just addding a little 'historical' background here - these are almost certainly the original 'Halcyon birds' of Ancient Greek legend/mythology, (this translates quite well into 'Yelkouan', one of the more recent names for the E. Med. shearwaters) - check the descriptions from the ancient texts; they weren't discussing any kind of kingfisher!

might be wrong but i think yelkouan might be turkish for shearwater?...

just checked and it is yelkovan,
don't know whether that is derived from halcyon or not??

James Lowther said:
might be wrong but i think yelkouan might be turkish for shearwater?...

just checked and it is yelkovan,
don't know whether that is derived from halcyon or not??
If you try to pronounce it as "halküón" you'll probably almost say yelkouan! (and Turkish has no W sound, so the V is explicable).

There was a bit of debate about this in my birding youth which i remembered today and managed to dig out the BB ref Vol 83, no 8 page 333. A letter titled Shearwaters, sirens and Hlacyons from Dougal Andrew, in response to Bill (W.R.P.) Bourne's article on Yelkouan Shear previously.

Bourne identified the Sirens and Halcyons of classical mythology with the two species of med shear. The sirens sweet and honeyed voice being derived from Cory's call (or perhaps not!!!)

Anyway it goes on into a bit of detail and is worth getting hold of. The upshot was that Dougal proposed Yelkouan was a poor name as it means little more than 'Shearwater'.

More edifying than the IBW debacle anyway.

Tim

A long time ago, in a thread far far away the name "ielcovan" appeared along with "pitpalac", "codalb" and a few others. They were the only pure Romanian names ever to appear in Romquiz.

It's called "sredozemski viharnik" in Slovene, nothing to do with Yelkouan, merely "Mediterranean Shearwater".

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back