• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrible pic through kitchen window ID (1 Viewer)

helenol

Just came in after taking some great photos of the robin, when I turned to look outside and I noticed a flash of red!

Grabbed the camera, put it on full zoom and captured through the kitchen window what I think is a great spotted w/pecker? Male?
If it is, it's a first positive sighting in my garden, although I have been seeing flashes of red now and again in the tree.

Excuse the cr*p quality

Attachments

• pa180033.jpg
    pa180033.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 452
A very nice garden sighting Helen. We've never so muh as had a hint of a GSW in the agrden despite there are plenty of them in the countryside nearby.

Congratulations Helen, sure enough a male GSW. We see them fairly often here, and one actually turned up for the GGBC. We saw juveniles quite frequently some while ago, and I don't know if they will now be in their adult plumage.

I have mixed feelings about GSWs now - every time I saw a juvenile in June, I wondered if it had been fed on one of our bluetit chicks. The camera recorded one being dragged out of the nest box, and we reckon that must have been what happened to the previous two - though the other box was being monitored at the time so we have no evidence.

Thanks everyone.

Elizabeth, I thought about that when I saw him. I remember following your bluetit story. Still, he is a beautiful bird, and I sure don't mind him coming into the garden. It's a shame the pic is cr*ppy, but the feeders are about 40 feet away from the house, and it was the best I could do on the spur of the moment.

Helen - the picture is fine. OK, it wouldn't be featured in the 'Birds' magazine (did you see Nigel's gorgeous snowy owl on the front of the new edition?), but it shows a clearly identifiable bird in your own garden. Perhaps we need a special section for pictures like this, though I have not been shy about posting a few of my grotty ones in the Gallery.

Helen,that is a good indentifiable picture.it shows the bird very clearly.
As to "grotty"pictures,I think it is the content which is most important.If iI manage to take a picture of the bird I was after then I am quite happy.It is obviously an added bonus if one takes something really rather special,but folks on this forum I notice are fine,nobody is too critical.
thank goodness,otherwise I don't think I would ever put anything on the gallery.
Christine.

Can you send the bird to Harlow? My mum would lovely to see this chomping at the peanuts in her garden.

Since taking the pic, he's been here every day, spending more and more time in the garden. I guess he's here for the winter now!

Pete - I'll have a go....doubt it somehow :)

Attachments

• pa230150wpecker.jpg
    pa230150wpecker.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 277
Helen - does the little flying saucer hold food? - and I can't make out what it is immediately to the right of the GSW - perhaps if I keep gazing at it, it'll come to me. There is no red showing at the back of the neck, but perhaps this is not quite the angle where it would be visible anyway. I wonder if it is a female, or a male hiding his colouring? Great picture though.

PS I sent you a PM on Monday - unread so far, I think.

I just had to edit this, as I seemed to have lost all my capitals, and I'm now wondering if it sounds a bit crtitical - it wasn't intended that way at all

Last edited:
Yes, the flying saucer holds food. It's a chain to the right of him, holding up the feeder. I keep meaning to adjust it but haven't got around to it yet. It is male, he has a huge red nape.

That is brilliant Helen I take it you were outside for this picture. Was it the male returned? My only sighting was out of the bedroomed window, but my neighbour has big picture windows and patio doors at the rear. Mr GSW tried to fly through and killed himself on the patio doors I have never seen one since, that was about three years ago.

Yes, I was outside this morning (I'm still trying to take a photo of the mistle/song thrush - not sure what it is). The GSW is out there now as we speak!

What I need to do, is go out one morning early, set up and wait for him. He's a beauty. I'm really chuffed.

I wish you luck, the clarity of the second picture is great all you need is to decide how you want to be positioned to catch him to the best advantage for light and composition. The thrush is usually easy to work out the size of the mistle thrush is greater also the breast markings are heavier and darker. Hope you get some good photos of both.

Great news on your new visitor, Helen. I see no reason why you shouldn't be getting G-S Woodpeckers in your garden for the coming years. From personal experience, once one appeared they became a permanent feature ....with youngsters appearing every summer.

Although it's a spectacular bird, I almost take them for granted now. I wedge brazil nuts in crevices on the trees for them to eat. They do have a nasty habit of trying to spear blue tits with their long bill if the tits try to share a peanut feeder with them.

Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back