• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on ND filters and holders please (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
Hi All

Just thinking I might have a go at landscape stuff and would like to use those slide in rectangular/square ND and graduated filters I see people using. Lee seem to do great stuff but at a high price. Anyone have any experience of similar but cheaper stuff? I would probably use my 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 Canon lenses.

Thanks

Tim

There are plenty of Lee/Hitech knock-off filter holders out there and most are fine, also their adapter rings are much cheaper too.
I would, however, caution you about buying cheap filters. Some of the lower value (eg. 1 or 2 stop) ND filters are not too bad but as you increase the density then the difference between cheap and expensive filters really shows!
Personally I will only use Format Hitech or Lee filters for anything over 1 stop ND or ND Grad. They are expensive but they are better! You can reduce the cost significantly by buying used (I got mine from E Bay = no complaints!) and, more importantly only buying the filters you really need rather than trying to build a "Set".
Just trying to stop you making the mistakes that I made!

Looking at your lenses you will need at least a 100mm (wide) system - sorry motr prnnies!

Another possible expense, is a suitable compatible clip on modular lens hood or two (they often stack for longer focal lengths). Useful for holding back flare for those moody backlit shots. Good grads are definitely a must!, though as John3f says, its easy to get a little carried away when you start.
Don't forget that a good polariser is often used for some of those intensely coloured landscapes with white clouds against blue sky with the sky imaged in forground water, it is a different effect to just turning up the saturation in PhotoShop!
Ok you said inexpensive, but it can be addictive....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back