• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Bronze Cuckoo on Halmahera ? (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

While leafing through the new birdguide to Indonesia - Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago - I looked at the distribution map for Pied Bronze Cuckoo and was a little confused, as the range only covers the Kai and Tanimbar islands in the Southern Moluccas.
From a trip to Sulawesi and Halmahera back in September 2007 I remembered a bird I watched and photographed on telephone wires just outside Sidangoli on Halmahera on 21 September.
It was a small Chrysococcyx cuckoo, with a dark upperside, whitish unmarked underside and a white patch on the coverts.
Due to distance and gloomy weather the photos are not very good, but it doesn't seem as if the border between the dark and the white in the face is very clear-cut, and there might be an indistinct pale eyebrow, hinting at Little Bronze Cuckoo (?)
I don't have any experience with potential juvenile/immature plumage, so would be very interested to hear more opinions on this bird and learn a little more.

Cheers

Jens

Attachments

• IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 55
Hi Jens,

A bit late on this one. Having a read of the text in the new field guide under Little Bronze Cuckoo; this discusses the birds on Halmahera having features tending towards characters shown in Pied Bronze Cuckoo. I guess this is what your bird was.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back