• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Gitzo CF tripod: 6ft birder with straight scope (1 Viewer)

pmaxp

Hello All: I am seeking a new tripod. I have read many postings. I recently realized that with my eye height (am 6'0" (183cm) tall) and my spotting scope (Nikon 82ED straight) that certain Gitzo's may not be tall enough, specifically those without a center column.

My eye height is 67-68in (170-173cm)

So, which 3 series carbon fiber Gitzo is right for me. I am not averse to buying used.

I am willing to use a center column, may even prefer it so I can adjust scope height for accompanying birders of different statures.

Please advise or direct me to a posting(s) I have overlooked.

I'm sure I'm not the first to pose this question.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I also use a straight 82ED and am 6 ft. For a long time, I made due with my old Bogen 3443 (Manfrotto Carbon 441) with long center column (originally purchased for photography) but it was never very satisfactory in windy conditions, or at high magnifications, or tall enough to deal with slopes. When I resolved to get another tripod for critical scoping and photography, I looked into the Gitzo carbon fiber models. I wanted something that could give me the height without using a center column, and although I don't remember which Gitzo was most suitable, it was in the 3 series, and it was big and bulky. I ended up instead getting a Really Right Stuff TVC-24L. The cost (new) was a bit more, but not drastically, and I liked it a lot better for superior height, narrower width when folded, seemingly similar stability (despite being a series 2 in the RRS line), and impressively low weight (same as my much shorter old Bogen). If you can afford a new Gitzo, consider the RRS alternatives. Here's a link to the 24L.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-24L-Versa-series-2-4-sections-leg-long

--AP

Just my 2p! I have both 2 and 3 series tripods and find the 3 series markedly superior for my scope use. There is a small penalty in weight and bulk, but the extra steadiness more than makes up for that in my usage. Like Alexis I feel that the lack of a center column is an advantage as well as getting a tripod that is a bit taller to allow for slopes etc (depends on where you are using it).

I would suggest, given that you live in the US, that you look at these two (RRS are far too expensive in the UK):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...542XLS_GT3542XLS_6x_4_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.html

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-34L-Versa-series-3-4-sections-leg-long

If you must have a center column then there are equivalents from moth manufacturers, but keep the column as low as possible for best results.

Folks, thanks. I have read that the center posts on Gitzo tripods are robust and do not add to vibrational issues.

Does someone know how many inches (cm) the typical quality head adds to a tripod?

Cheers.

Folks, thanks. I have read that the center posts on Gitzo tripods are robust and do not add to vibrational issues.

Does someone know how many inches (cm) the typical quality head adds to a tripod?

Cheers.

On the center post issue, the same could be said of any high quality tripod, but it is not true. Center posts always compromise stability. I especially notice the difference in resistance to torsion side to side.

Of course center columns can still be useful, so I'm not totally against them. Maybe someday I'll get one for my RRS 24L tripod (all RRS series 2 and 3 tripods can be accessorized with a center column). Here's the one that fits my tripod.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-2-QC-Series-2-Quick-Column
And here's the one for the series 3 [this pages has more pictures so you can see how it works].
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-3-QC-Series-3-Quick-Column

The height that a head adds varies considerably by model. Heads that add less height are likely to be more stable. One of my favorite heads is this one from Gitzo (for series 3, you might prefer the larger GH2720QR):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/709793-REG/Gitzo_GH1720QR_Two_way_Fluid_Tripod_Head.html

If you click on the specifications tab, you can see it adds 3.6 inches. Keep in mind that the scope itself will add some height, maybe another 3 or 4 inches. I'm not at home to measure things precisely, but I don't think the precise measurements matter. When you set up your tripod on a flat surface and are looking at something on the horizon, any head plus the 82ED will place the eyepiece way too high if you have a RRS 24L or 34L fully extended (even without center column). However, it is nice to have leg length to spare for times when you are standing on a slope facing downhill (wherein the tripod has to be taller to reach your eye).

--AP

Cheers.

I used to have two 3 series Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripods, one Systematic (no center column) and a Mountaineer (with a center column). The legs were the same but the Systematic is definitely more rigid/stable. Not only does the Systematic lack the extra connection for the center column but the Systematic has a wider spider (the part that the legs attach to) hence the better stability. Additionally my Systematic is noticeably lighter. Against that the Mountaineer was better for making fine height adjustments and, though not quite as rigid or light, was still an excellent tripod.

For the ultimate performance I would go for an RRS or Gitzo tripod without a center column. The models with center columns are still VERY good and can be more convenient - though they are a little heavier.

Remember we are discussing superlatives here, any 3 series Gitzo or RRS tripod (and maybe one or two others) will give you the best available (and portable!) viewing, I have just found the models without center columns that bit better for me.

If you can get to a shop that stocks them try them out for yourself and see which suits your needs better.

A decent size ball head will be 4 inches or so tall. Just a thought, were you intending to use your scope on a Ball Head? Whilst I have two good ball heads for photography use I find them simply horrible for scope use! Try a reasonable fluid head - MUCH better IMO and they are roughly 4 to 5 inches tall.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back