• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow in Leyte, Philippines (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi guys, I've identified myself that bird but hope to be confirmed or proved wrong. I posted on a Philippine group on FB but it seems the plumage is not easy even for them.

Thanks! :t:

Photos taken yesterday near Ormoc, above rice fields where Barn and Striated Swallow are common.

Attachments

• Hirundo_pacifica1.jpg
    Hirundo_pacifica1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Hirundo_pacifica2.JPG
    Hirundo_pacifica2.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 79
Immature Asian House martin? I saw a few in the Visayas a couple of winters back, I was surprised how different they looked from European House martin, with that grey mottled rump, dusky flanks and darker underwing.

Hi guys, I've identified myself that bird but hope to be confirmed or proved wrong. I posted on a Philippine group on FB but it seems the plumage is not easy even for them.

Thanks! :t:

Photos taken yesterday near Ormoc, above rice fields where Barn and Striated Swallow are common.

Pacific Swallow for me. These can appear very dusky below and have dusky centres to the undertail coverts.

Steve

I suspect your question is rhetorical, on my pc's large screen, the forehead is light grey, I see no red anywhere on this bird

A

I do have traces of red on mine, no solids though, so they may of course be artefacts. However, they do happen to be in the correct distribution for Pacific Swallow!

As this bird lacks blue-black below the bill, much in the way of blue-black below the eye or in the ear coverts, and has rather a strong bill, I don't see much to support an ID as Asian House Martin personally. It's also not a lagopodum, though they are moving through the region at the moment (attached is an awful photo of one taken just over a week ago).

Steve

Attachments

• Northern House Martin (01) - Copy1.jpg
    Northern House Martin (01) - Copy1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I do have traces of red on mine, no solids though, so they may of course be artefacts. However, they do happen to be in the correct distribution for Pacific Swallow!

As this bird lacks blue-black below the bill, much in the way of blue-black below the eye or in the ear coverts, and has rather a strong bill, I don't see much to support an ID as Asian House Martin personally. It's also not a lagopodum, though they are moving through the region at the moment (attached is an awful photo of one taken just over a week ago).

Steve

One difference I see between this pic and the OP is that the tail feathers on the OP seem to be blackish whilst on yours they are whiteish?

A

I have to agree with Steve, there are definitely visible rufous tones to the throat and upper breast and a paler forehead which equates to the rufous forehead. Further, the bill is too long for both ASM and EHM.

So, Pacific Swallow IMO too.

Grahame

I have to agree with Steve, there are definitely visible rufous tones to the throat and upper breast and a paler forehead which equates to the rufous forehead. Further, the bill is too long for both ASM and EHM.

So, Pacific Swallow IMO too.

Grahame

Well I need a new monitor and new specs then, I see absolutely zero red in this bird anywhere though don't dispute the ID

In regard to 'rufous tones', it looks a mucky grey to me?

A

Thanks, guys, that was my identification (I named the photos "Hirundo pacifica", wondering if someone would tell me this name is wrong... Belgian humour... ) based on plumage but also flight action and size in direct comparison to other species in the sky.

It is a very common species in the Philippines, but I didn't such a pale one on underparts (especially throat) before, hence my need of confirmation. Now I have it, thanks again!

Happy birding

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back