• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico (1 Viewer)

MarilynP

Planning a trip to San Jose deCabo Mexico in January.Can someone recommend best field guide for the area.Something manageable to carry around not too heavy which I believe most popular guide is.Also any tips on where to birdwatch.Cheers Marilynp

Two birds to look for are the Xantus Hummingbird and the Yellow-footed Gull. The Xantus is endemic to southern Baja California so you will never see it anywhere else. The Yellow-footed Gull is endemic to the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja Peninsula. (and occasionally at Salton Sea in California). You may have to go a bit north of Cabo to find them but they are common in the beaches on the gulf side, not at the tip.
There is no new guide book for Mexico. One is surely needed. Check here for a review of guidebooks of Mexico: https://birdtripper.com/guidebooks-central-america/

Two birds to look for are the Xantus Hummingbird and the Yellow-footed Gull. The Xantus is endemic to southern Baja California so you will never see it anywhere else. The Yellow-footed Gull is endemic to the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja Peninsula. (and occasionally at Salton Sea in California). You may have to go a bit north of Cabo to find them but they are common in the beaches on the gulf side, not at the tip.
There is no new guide book for Mexico. One is surely needed. Check here for a review of guidebooks of Mexico: https://birdtripper.com/guidebooks-central-america/

Take note Lynx....................

Steve Howell and Dale Dyer are working on (quote) "a compact guide" to Mexico. No info on timeline though.

Steve Howell and Dale Dyer are working on (quote) "a compact guide" to Mexico. No info on timeline though.

Would not hurt if Lynx came out with a FG on their own first. Those are not really all that compact. Thus a compact one would still be most welcome. And there would be less of a problem with the expected multiple delays once a quickly available book would remove the most immediate pressure. As things are now, the situation is simply a disaster for most visitor birders.

Last edited:
Would not hurt if Lynx came out with a FG on their own first. Those are not really all that compact. Thus a compact one would still be most welcome. And there would be less of a problem with the expected multiple delays once a quickly available book would remove the most immediate pressure. As things are now, the situation is simply a disaster for most visitor birders.

I have to take issue with that statement. I still feel that the Howell and Web book is really good. If going only to (most of) Yucatan, you can use the Fagan and Komar book (missing a few species on the northern coast of Yucatan.

You can call the situations in Argentina a disaster perhaps, but the mere fact that the available good book is big is not enough reason to call the situation in Mexico a disaster.

Niels

I have to take issue with that statement. I still feel that the Howell and Web book is really good. If going only to (most of) Yucatan, you can use the Fagan and Komar book (missing a few species on the northern coast of Yucatan.

You can call the situations in Argentina a disaster perhaps, but the mere fact that the available good book is big is not enough reason to call the situation in Mexico a disaster.

Niels

OK Niels, I think I was a bit overstating things as I am put off by large books that are also inconvenient in their handling. I so very much prefer the range maps being with the pictures as that allows for an immediate assessment of the likelihood of a particular bird. It's also the reason why I was very unhappy with the De la Peña / Rumboll book for Argentina.

While I agree that the formatting of the old Howell and Webb tome (range maps not with the plates, most importantly), out dated taxonomy, and lack of plates for migrant species are annoyances, it's still an authoritative and very robust field guide. I will be much happier when Argentina and Brazil get comprehensive modern field guides!

In addition to the new Howell guide that Guy mentioned above, Michael Retter is working on a guide as well. My understanding of Michael's guide is that work is progressing apace but it is still a few years out.

Last edited:
Planning a trip to San Jose deCabo Mexico in January.Can someone recommend best field guide for the area.Something manageable to carry around not too heavy which I believe most popular guide is.Also any tips on where to birdwatch.Cheers Marilynp

The top site in S Baja is Estero San Jose, in San Jose del Cabo. You can find the three Baja endemics (Gray Thrasher, Xantus's Hummingbird, and Belding's Yellowthroat) in and around the estero. Yellow-footed Gull can be found in and around the Estero at times, but I don't really know how reliable it is. Perhaps the other important Baja endemic/near endemic is Craveri's Murrelet but that usually requires a boat trip and understanding of where/when to look.

Some eBird links that might be of use:
Overview of Baja California Sur - https://ebird.org/region/MX-BCS?yr=all
Estero San Jose - https://ebird.org/hotspot/L277480
Estero San Jose barcharts - https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L277480&yr=all&m=

Suerte!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back