Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI - Orlando area Easter 09

Old Wednesday 14th January 2009, 21:26   #1
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

RFI - Orlando area Easter 09

Hi All,

I'm off to Orlando,Fl in April, will I be able to connect with any migrants passing through or will I be too early? Also can anyone suggest any sites within say an hour's drive from Orlando that will be good for passage birds, & what species can I hope to see.

Cheers,

John.
Old Thursday 15th January 2009, 09:24   #2
Phil Carter

Should be spot on for passage birds I would have thought, there were plenty of migrants when i was there 3 years ago(last week March- first week April).There are a few really good places within driving distance but probably depends on how much time you have available eg is this a family holiday or business trip or birding holiday? Anything in particular that you'd like to see?
Phil
Old Thursday 15th January 2009, 20:29   #3
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Hi Phil,

I'm in Orlando for a family wedding / holiday but planning on spending a few days birding as well. I'd like to see passage warblers / passerines if possible, I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Cheers,

John.
Old Friday 16th January 2009, 08:26   #4
Phil Carter

We stayed in Kissimee and did a lot of my birding in the hotel grounds which was beside a lake. Early mornings were best with different birds most days, stuff like Painted Bunting, Eastern Wood Peewee, Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher,Northern Waterthrush plus the usual Palm Warblers, Yellowthroats, Cardinals, Grackles and such-like. We had a good day at Sea-World with a nice group of Warblers, mainly Yellow-Rumped but also Cape-May and American Redstart. If you like herons then Gatorland is a must with most types breeding there. For a proper days birding I'd definitely go to Merritt Island, a superb place! My biggest regret of the holiday was that I didn't give it more time. All in all I found Florida a wonderful place for birds and most of them are incredibly tame.
Cheers
Phil
Old Friday 16th January 2009, 18:37   #5
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Thanks Phil,

Cheers,

John.
Old Friday 16th January 2009, 19:30   #6
mcapper

Hi John

Go to the Great Florida Birding Trail website. You can down laod a site guide for the area you want to visit - and they are very good (there are also updates available to download. I've used them in Florida with good success.

http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

Bill Pranty's Florida birding guide is also very good and I think has recently been updated.

I think it is far better to have a good guide with all the info at your fingertips.

Have a great time - it is a fab place to go birding

M
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: