Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2015 Zen Ray Zrs hd 8x42 or prostaff 7s 8x42

Old Sunday 20th December 2015, 20:32   #1
rustydog

2015 Zen Ray Zrs hd 8x42 or prostaff 7s 8x42

Hello all
I went to cabelas yesterday to check out some binos. Looked at the prostaff 7s and the vortex diamondback in 8x42. I was surprised that the nikon looked sharper than the vortex and the focus wheel was better. I am thinking that the 2015 zrs hd are worth a look also in $200 range. Any thoughts? Just looking for a general purpose bino.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old Sunday 20th December 2015, 21:00   #2
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydog View Post
Hello all
I went to cabelas yesterday to check out some binos. Looked at the prostaff 7s and the vortex diamondback in 8x42. I was surprised that the nikon looked sharper than the vortex and the focus wheel was better. I am thinking that the 2015 zrs hd are worth a look also in $200 range. Any thoughts? Just looking for a general purpose bino.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
One note of caution. Make absolutely sure you carefully set the diopter on whatever bin you view. At Cabelas, and other stores, the diopters are often all over the map. In addition, you must set each bin's diopter to your eyes. For example, if zero works on one model do not count on it working on another.
Old Sunday 20th December 2015, 21:59   #3
rustydog

Hmmm. That could be the reason for the difference in sharpness. I just always set the diopter to the middle or zero. That had to be it. I like the idea of the vortex warranty since I seem to be hard on things. (I'm clumsy )
Old Tuesday 29th December 2015, 21:29   #4
kflan22

Quote:
Hello all
Thanks in advance.
Mike
The Vortex Warranty is great but I prefer the Nikon 7S to the Vortex. I don't think it is as bright but the construction seems better to me and I like how they handle, though they are a little longer than the vortex.

The Diamondback seems very similar to the Alpen Shasta Ridge, Zen Ray Vista, & Meade Rainforest Pro but they are typically higher priced. For me this would eliminate the Diamondback as a best Value in class.

I would take a serious look at the ZRS HD, Celestron Trailseeker, & Carson 3D ED if you can find one in your $200 price range. I know the Trailseekers were on sale for $189 plus a $40 rebate just a few days ago.

Good luck!
Old Tuesday 29th December 2015, 22:05   #5
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Hmmm. That could be the reason for the difference in sharpness. I just always set the diopter to the middle or zero. That had to be it. I like the idea of the vortex warranty since I seem to be hard on things. (I'm clumsy )
There are new Diamondbacks coming out soon. They are posted on Eagle Optics, but not in stock yet, so you may want to wait for some reviews to come in of these before making your final decision:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...amondback-8x42

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 21:31   #6
perterra

I was impressed with the prostaff 7 myself
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: