Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

In London

Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 11:25   #1
Gzoladz74

In London

Hello, I will spend a few days in London (end March) and I would like to see 2 species I haven't seen before, but I believe they are widespread over there: nuthatch and great spotted woodpecker.

What are the chances of seeing these in Hyde Park and similar? I will around central London and travelling out of the area is unlikely to be an option.

Also (and this is in the nice to have category), any recommendations to see any owls in the same area? Thanks
Old Monday 8th February 2016, 00:57   #2
roo.

http://kensingtongardensandhydeparkb...logspot.co.uk/

This is an excellent blog for finding out what's out and about in Hyde Park, and today's post (Sun 7th Feb) shows a nuthatch (which I've not seen there although admittedly I don't go often).

The Friday 5th Feb post shows GS Woodpecker and Little Owl, plus a mention of Tawny Owls.

Greenwich Park and Hampstead Heath are also good for Nuthatch/GSW in my experience, plus Richmond Park if you get chance to head out that way.
Lifelist (2015-now): 168 (Bohemian Waxwing 10/01)
Old Monday 8th February 2016, 09:36   #3
MK90
Always learning

Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is quite central (just get the Central Line to Mile End) and you'll have a great chance of seeing/hearing GS Woodpeckers at that time of year.
Old Monday 8th February 2016, 09:40   #4
chowchilla
Maderator.

Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common, which are beside each other are where I cut my teeth birding many moons ago. Well worth a visit and you should stand a very good chance of both species there. Worth giving an entire day as they are huge. Try not to get lost as they feel like trackless wildernesses sometimes.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th February 2016, 16:11   #5
DST

If going to Richmond Park bear in mind it is tricky to get to by public transport although buses pass by Richmond & Robin Hood gates. You can get a fast train to Richmond from Waterloo (or the slower underground) then maybe a bus. Best to get there early and mid-week so avoiding the bulk of visitors and dog-walkers.

GS Woodpeckers are common and Nuthatch shouldn't be problem. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers also occur but are few in number and elusive but late March is as good a time as any to find one. Little & Tawny Owls are fairly common- Little being easiest to see, early morning/evening visit best for these. The centre of the Park around the Pen Ponds would be best to explore. Warning: Ring-necked Parakeets are very common and noisy- but you can tick them.

Wimbledon Common needs a train & bus to get to as well but doesn't have LS Woodpecker and L Owl. There might still be some Wombles though.

Have a good trip.
Old Friday 19th February 2016, 18:52   #6
Gzoladz74

Thanks all, great data. I am going for just 2 days this time so I will have to keep it fairly central, but will definitely check those places out!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: