Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular Suggestion

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 11:00   #1
kviewer

Binocular Suggestion

I am going to buy a new binocular. And I want to use that for birding. I have selected two choices, which are Zeiss 10*42 Terra ED Binoculars and Steiner Skyhawk 3.0 10x42 Binoculars. Which one do you suggest me to buy? And which one has better overall quality? The prices of them is not my consideration. Thanks in advance.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 13:13   #2
[email protected]

Of those two I would choose the Zeiss 10x42 Terra ED Binoculars. For about the same price point as these two I prefer the Nikon M7 10x42 for it's bigger FOV. You might throw a bid in on these Nikon 10x42 HG's that are at $285.00 right now on Ebay. Worth a try!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Monar...wAAOSwN6FdHN8Y

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7549-MO...96N70XHVP64DKG

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 7th July 2019 at 23:35.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 16:32   #3
gunut
Registered Offender

Id go with the Zeiss also....but would choose the 8x over the 10x as a bin primarily used for birding.....
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 03:46   #4
marcsantacurz

I was not impressed with the Terra. I have not used Steiner. The M7 is a good binocular, very easy to use and light weight too. You could also look at the Vanguard 10x42 Endeavor ED IV, though the M7 is lighter with a wider FoV. If you can, go to a shot and try them, ergonomics is a big factor in how they fit your face and eyes.

In that price range, I also like the Minox 10x44 BL-HD v2. It's between the Vanguard and Nikon in weight and FoV. New price is US$468. I'd order all 3 and try them and return the others, though the M7 is probably the best bet and very likely to work out for you ergonomically.

Marc
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 14:03   #5
jring

Hi,

as has been said, the Terra is the lesser evil of the two, but you'll be probably better served with a Nikon M7 in whatever size you prefer, at least at that price point.

Or some used alphas or $1000 class bins like the Nikon HG Dennis suggested or the Nikon SE 10x42 which I got for $500 a few years ago... although those need a bit of patience and luck...

Joachim
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 05:04   #6
kviewer

Thanks all for your comments. I probably won't select Nikon M7. I heard from others that it is easy to be broken. So I will choose Terra.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: