Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

N.E.London Orange Swift variation on a theme?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 09:53   #1
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
N.E.London Orange Swift variation on a theme?

Just need confirmation on the ''Swift?'' please also last night a lifer for me, in the form of a Pine Hawk Moth, is this still a local species, or has it become more widespread since my bought (13 years ago) Lewingtons states.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1980602.jpeg   Orange Swift 1.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	700094  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1980598.jpeg   Orange Swift 2..jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	700095  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1980599.jpeg   Orange Swift 3.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	700096  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1980626.jpeg   Pine Hwk.Moth 1..jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	700097  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1980624.jpeg   Pine Hawk Moth 2..jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	700098  

KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 11:50   #2
aeshna5
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Middx
Posts: 4,348
Surely not a "swift"? Looks like Lunar-spotted Pinion to me.

I know a mothing survey last Wednesday in Walpole Park, Ealing on the west side of London caught a Pine Hawkmoth. There are several Pinus nigra in the park.
aeshna5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 12:15   #3
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
Surely not a "swift"? Looks like Lunar-spotted Pinion to me.

I know a mothing survey last Wednesday in Walpole Park, Ealing on the west side of London caught a Pine Hawkmoth. There are several Pinus nigra in the park.
That's what it is, I've had it in Notts a couple of times, much to the excitement of our recorder.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 12:18   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Just need confirmation on the ''Swift?'' please also last night a lifer for me, in the form of a Pine Hawk Moth, is this still a local species, or has it become more widespread since my bought (13 years ago) Lewingtons states.

Cheers
I even get Pine Hawk in Notts Ken, aong with Privet which used to have a much more Southerly bias.

A lot of statuses have changed.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 14:40   #5
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
Thanks guys!....no wonder I was having trouble reconciling it with an Orange Swift!
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 15:06   #6
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I even get Pine Hawk in Notts Ken, aong with Privet which used to have a much more Southerly bias.

A lot of statuses have changed.
I’m having an extra sugar in my coffee later andy!, because the Pine Hawk Moth represented my 9th Hawkmoth species in 11 years, can’t see me breaking into double digits...cos the rest are pretty rare, always fancied “Oleander”...one can but dream.....
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 16:09   #7
Britseye
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Isles of Scilly
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
I’m having an extra sugar in my coffee later andy!, because the Pine Hawk Moth represented my 9th Hawkmoth species in 11 years, can’t see me breaking into double digits...cos the rest are pretty rare, always fancied “Oleander”...one can but dream.....
Well done, Ken...and thanks for making me count the Hawkmoths I've seen in the UK for the first time. I managed to count them on the fingers of both hands. But I did need all my fingers I've got Death's Head, Striped and Silver-striped. Missing Lime, Pine and Bedstraw, for example.
Britseye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 16:55   #8
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Well done, Ken...and thanks for making me count the Hawkmoths I've seen in the UK for the first time. I managed to count them on the fingers of both hands. But I did need all my fingers I've got Death's Head, Striped and Silver-striped. Missing Lime, Pine and Bedstraw, for example.
Cheers Graham, what made it particularly exciting was that ”pon lifting the trap cover (put on at 4am) I knew it was a lifer...but didn’t initially recognise it, and was puzzled as to why I couldn’t ID it, however a quick visit to Lewingtons resolved all.

PS the Poplar Hawk Moth from last Saturday was of the scarcer buff form?

Might be a potential split there, if it’s found to come from a different region
or might that be construed as...clutching “bedstraws”
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 10:04   #9
Paul Chapman
Registered User
 
Paul Chapman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Clevedon
Posts: 8,913
Ken

Many colour forms are just part of the population and some at least are caused by temperature variations/shocks I believe.

On the basis that your nine in the garden are Convolvulus, Pine, Privet, Lime, Eyed, Poplar, Hummingbird, Elephant & Small Elephant, I would have thought your best bets are Striped or Bedstraw for number ten.

The two Bee Hawkmoths require you to go to them.

I need Willowherb for the set of 18 species currently on the list but Spurge & Oleander I've only twitched in (big) pots.

All the best
__________________
Paul Chapman

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Paul Chapman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 13:02   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Well done, Ken...and thanks for making me count the Hawkmoths I've seen in the UK for the first time. I managed to count them on the fingers of both hands. But I did need all my fingers I've got Death's Head, Striped and Silver-striped. Missing Lime, Pine and Bedstraw, for example.
That's a very odd Hawkmoth list you have there, DH, Striped andd SS but no Lime and no Pine!

I saw Death's Head at the airport at St Just. We were fogged in, waiting to twitch something or other and some birders, bought one to the Airport that they'd caught, to show around.

Bedstraw, only had that in Russia, came to the Petunia's on our balcony.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 16:41   #11
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
That's a very odd Hawkmoth list you have there, DH, Striped andd SS but no Lime and no Pine!

I saw Death's Head at the airport at St Just. We were fogged in, waiting to twitch something or other and some birders, bought one to the Airport that they'd caught, to show around.

Bedstraw, only had that in Russia, came to the Petunia's on our balcony.
Its all that time on Scilly, which is where I got Striped, during James Andrewes's stag weekend. I still need Narrow-bordered Bee, Willowherb, Spurge, Bedstraw and Silver-striped. Oleander at Dunge last year was one of the best wildlife things I've ever seen.

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:18   #12
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Its all that time on Scilly, which is where I got Striped, during James Andrewes's stag weekend. I still need Narrow-bordered Bee, Willowherb, Spurge, Bedstraw and Silver-striped. Oleander at Dunge last year was one of the best wildlife things I've ever seen.

John
I've seen a damaged (torn-winged) and worn Oleander! A mint one would be

Not to compare to Graham's IOS Hawkmoths, mine were all from the same pot in the same position in the back garden (bar the HBHM which was on the Valerian in the front garden).

Cheers
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:13   #13
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
I've seen a damaged (torn-winged) and worn Oleander! A mint one would be

Cheers
There you go.....

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917 (1)_Oleander_Hawk_Moth.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	700222  
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 07:44   #14
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,779
Probably the best, European Hawkmoth?
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 12:07   #15
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 11,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Probably the best, European Hawkmoth?
I’d almost certainly agree with that andy but!.... suddenly seeing a big “pink” Elephant Hawk morphing out of the “black” at 11.30pm last night with the play of the patio halogen almost luminescing it, whilst evading an oncoming Pipestrelle as it threaded through the Ash tree was pretty amazing!
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 08:17   #16
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
I’d almost certainly agree with that andy but!.... suddenly seeing a big “pink” Elephant Hawk morphing out of the “black” at 11.30pm last night with the play of the patio halogen almost luminescing it, whilst evading an oncoming Pipestrelle as it threaded through the Ash tree was pretty amazing!
I was skim reading as usual and thought you'd used playback!!!!
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange tip? London WWT, May '17 mathare Butterflies and Moths ID 3 Monday 3rd July 2017 16:05
Scarlet Tanager / orange variation? Arkalon Park in Southwest Kansas krkennedy Bird Identification Q&A 5 Saturday 28th May 2016 19:09
Scarlet Tanager orange variation? krkennedy Bird Identification Q&A 1 Saturday 28th May 2016 15:47
Orange Swift in the making! condliffen Butterflies and Moths 1 Tuesday 12th August 2014 22:16
Is this an Orange Swift? Reader Butterflies and Moths ID 2 Sunday 8th August 2004 21:24

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.22429991 seconds with 31 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:22.