Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding near London

Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 13:42   #1
dendenbirdwatching10

Birding near London

Hello everyone!
I'm coming to London in the summer for the first time.
I wanted to ask if someone can give me few good birding places near London.
Thanks!
Eden
Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 14:45   #2
Tri-Counties Birder
AKA The Portland Naturalist

Two places worth visiting are the London Wetland Centre, Barnes (though a bit steep at 10 for entry): http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/london/

And, Rainham Marshes: http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guid...hes/index.aspx

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 16:01   #3
JamesA
Crap Birder

Will you have transport, or be using trains/buses?
Old Wednesday 18th December 2013, 11:44   #4
Stevie babe

Hyde Park in central London can be useful, particularly for a pre breakfast birding stroll
Old Wednesday 18th December 2013, 12:27   #5
Morocco Mole

Also Rye Meads (Lea Valley) can be good in summer for warblers and is close to a railway station. Though not as close as it was. If you haven't already look at the London Birders Wiki http://londonbirders.wikia.com/wiki/...Bird_Club_Wiki which has details of latest news and local patches.
Old Wednesday 18th December 2013, 13:45   #6
John Cantelo

Assuming you've no transport then www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk will give transport details
1 - New Forest - Beaulieu Road Station - heathland & woodland - 2 hour by train from Waterloo. Good walks & birds.
2 - Oare, Faversham, Kent - train to Faversham - bus to Oare (excellent pub food in three mariners) - walk along creek to Oare Marshes reserve - good waders etc
3 - Train to Sturry (east of Canterbury) - c1 hour using HS service. Bus towards Thanet - get off at Upstreet (c10 mins) - walk down to Grove Ferry Inn - circular walk round Stodmarsh Nature reserve - wetland species - Bittern, Bearded Tit, Garganey etc.
4 - Canterbury Ring Woods - train to Canterbury - bus/walk - Nightingale, Woodcock etc.
5 - Dungeness - train to Hythe then bus (see website above for details) - excellent for wetland birds etc.,

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Sunday 19th January 2014, 22:50   #7
Lerxst

Hello:

I too plan to visit London for the first time ever this summer. My wife and I are birders, our two teenagers are not, but that is okay since they like to sleep all AM and we can go out for several hours without them!

We plan to be there roughly a week or so, mostly in the city, but would like to do a trip abroad in the country as well. Here's my question - if you could only go to one area outside of London (within, say, 4 hours by train) to bird, where would you go? I suppose my question is more along the lines of, where would I be likely to find the most species that are not in London?

If that same area has any castles nearby, that is even better (keeps the kids happy)

Areas I am thinking of... (1) The Birmingham area (Warwick castle not far) or (2) Southampton area.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Old Monday 20th January 2014, 07:16   #8
Andy1979

4 hours by train from London can get you almost anywhere... Liverpool is only two hours, you could be in Scotland within 4!

I would go for a large coastal reserve with mixed habitat to make the most of your trip. Somewhere like Dungeness as mentioned above, or the Norfolk coast.
Old Monday 20th January 2014, 12:33   #9
eddy the eagle

If you have only got an odd morning or so Hampstead Heath in the summer is pretty good although I have to admit I have not been there recently....Eddy
Old Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 00:39   #10
Lerxst

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a bit of research using the eBird Hotspot Explorer function set to the July time frame, and what it indicates is that taking a trip up to the Lothian/Edinburgh/Firth, Bass Islands area could pay some real dividends. I like that there is a SeaBird Center and the headquarters of the SOC there as well.

So I'm planning on ~4 nights in London (actually maybe the first night in Windsor), then two nights in Edinburgh, then perhaps come back down through Birmingham and get the kids to Warwick castle, maybe Stratford, maybe Stonehenge too. I think I will never hear the end of it if we do not go there.

Apologies if I have run afoul of the boundaries of this subforum. I'm only now getting my first real (self-taught) lessons in the geography of GB...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: