Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

John's Mammals 2015

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 30th January 2015, 20:15   #26
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Their antics kept me entertained till almost 2000 hrs by which time I couldn't feel my fingers to operate camera and night scope any longer
Oo, I think that evening might have passed for tropical toasting out this way ... you might need to be investing in some mitts soon

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st January 2015, 09:30   #27
JCL

Quote:
Blakeney Point

John
Other votes?
Old Saturday 31st January 2015, 18:53   #28
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Other votes?
There are boat trips out to colonies in the Thames Estuary, and I remember seeing a load around the Cairns of Coll on a whale-watching trip out of Tobermory. Orkney might be a place to dig into, as well. The Orcas turn up there mid-summer and Common Seal pups swim immediately: there might be a connection?

However I don't think the species in general has really big rookeries in the way Grey Seals do.

Cheers

John
Old Sunday 1st February 2015, 09:43   #29
JCL

Quote:
There are boat trips out to colonies in the Thames Estuary, and I remember seeing a load around the Cairns of Coll on a whale-watching trip out of Tobermory. Orkney might be a place to dig into, as well. The Orcas turn up there mid-summer and Common Seal pups swim immediately: there might be a connection?

However I don't think the species in general has really big rookeries in the way Grey Seals do.

Cheers

John
Yep, that was my feeling. It's harder to see Harbour Seal pups than Grey. Having recently left the SE, am gripped by the Thames Estuary colonies & boat trips, John. News to me! From where?

I had been wondering about Chanonry Point & environs for Harbour colony. Seen them there in spring, but unclear whether they breed.

cheers

James
Old Sunday 1st February 2015, 17:41   #30
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Yep, that was my feeling. It's harder to see Harbour Seal pups than Grey. Having recently left the SE, am gripped by the Thames Estuary colonies & boat trips, John. News to me! From where?

I had been wondering about Chanonry Point & environs for Harbour colony. Seen them there in spring, but unclear whether they breed.

cheers

James
I'm not sure which port. Steve Davis did one of the trips, I'll ask him. Just occurred to me there's a Common Seal colony just next to Saltholme RSPB, on the upper part of the estuary. Presumably they pup at some point, and you can often see the rookery from the road bridge.

John
Old Sunday 1st February 2015, 19:21   #31
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

A wood mouse and a yellow necked mouse in the garage on Wednesday

Brown rat in Stoke while looking for Smew on Friday. But on Saturday the main target and a tough one considering the snow and wind conditions was mountain hare at Dovestones. But an hour in waist deep snow paid off and I found a nice hare which exploded from my feet and I had to track until I found it holed up.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9927.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	531209  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9930.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	531210  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2625.JPG
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	531211  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2639.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	531212  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2622.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	531213  

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd February 2015, 16:00   #32
Farnboro John

I spent Sunday in the Forest of Dean again, with only moderate success (i.e. less than last time. The highlight of the day was an hour-long battle of wits with a Wild Boar that was going about its business close to a track I was on. I managed to get up to about twenty yards from it, and it then became aware of me through thickish cover and advanced cautiously to check me out. We stalked each other for the next sixty minutes, by the end of which I had some poor record shots and it had enjoyed an encounter with Man without getting shot. I'd like to say it was even but I suspect the boar did better then me!

The only other decent mammals of the day were a couple of Fallow Deer that shot off giving me brief bins views as I was toiling up a steep hill. Hawfinches, Ravens and Crossbills made up the other interest of the day.

John
Old Monday 2nd February 2015, 18:15   #33
Farnboro John

Seeing as I was struggling to photograph actual Wild Boars, I took the chance to take some pictures of related things. So here is a bit of a teach-in - apologies to readers for whom this is routine....

1. Typical Wild Boar habitat in the Forest of Dean. A forest ride with some evidence of snouting in the rough grass. Rushes in the area were flattened (they're quite difficult to squash so that they don't spring up again, but boars manage it.) Under the young conifers boars find sheltered, dry, comfy pine needles to relax on: most people wander past without ever knowing they are close.

2. Boar droppings (1) Sometimes they do come out and remain clumped together like this. Interestingly these are brownish - blackish is more frequent. There's a slight glisten to them that suggests they are fairly recent - in fact a fly flew off them, another indicator.

3. Boar droppings (2) These are more typical. Separate blackish discs, bulged on one side like macaroons.

4. Boar track. Bic biro (6" long) for size comparison. Not sure if the mark behind the two toes is a dew claw or a small boar going the other way.

5. Wild Boar being difficult. In fact there are two, in the shadows back and left of the main subject of the pic is another one. The pic is taken with the first outing of my new 100mm f2.8 and only cropped a bit: the boars are only about five to ten yards away.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015_02_01 (2)_Forest_of_Dean (800x533).jpg
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	531317  Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_02_01 (3)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	531318  Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_02_01 (4)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	531319  Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_02_01 (5)_Boar_Track (800x533).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	531320  Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_02_01 (6)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	531321  

Old Monday 9th February 2015, 20:59   #34
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

I spent last week trying to trap some small mammals, the reason Stephanie and Tim from Belgium were in the UK mammal watching and I hoped to get them a few additional species. However this would be quite difficult due to the very cold weather. So the first few days I trapped in barns on a local farm, the horse stables and in my garage which I had caught yellow necked and wood mice the previous week. But results were quite poor a wood mouse who escaped, but by Thursday when Stephanie had phoned I had caught a harvest mouse in the barn. This was a good enough draw for them to visit, but I wanted to get them something extra so trapping at my work would be needed a site that holds 8 small mammal species but in temperatures around freezing or below some ingenuity would be required.

So I modified my traps encasing them in bubblewrap leaving a pocked in the bublewrap under the nest chamber of the trap, here I would place a disposable heat pad (I have a box of them) to keep it warm, I added an immense amount of food to each trap and I set these where I caught plenty of small mammals during the autumn.

With my heated traps in place I headed home. I was on site early Saturday because I was nervous of the very cold conditions overnight. I only had three captures but all were alive and well and I was pleased to show field vole, water shrew in addition to the Harvest mouse to Stephanie and Tim who showed their appreciation with a box of chocolates - many thanks.

I only took a few pics below but Tim must have worn his camera out.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0001.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	532108  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9998.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	532109  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9978.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	532110  

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th February 2015, 23:08   #35
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHows View Post
I spent last week trying to trap some small mammals, the reason Stephanie and Tim from Belgium were in the UK mammal watching and I hoped to get them a few additional species. However this would be quite difficult due to the very cold weather. So the first few days I trapped in barns on a local farm, the horse stables and in my garage which I had caught yellow necked and wood mice the previous week. But results were quite poor a wood mouse who escaped, but by Thursday when Stephanie had phoned I had caught a harvest mouse in the barn. This was a good enough draw for them to visit, but I wanted to get them something extra so trapping at my work would be needed a site that holds 8 small mammal species but in temperatures around freezing or below some ingenuity would be required.

So I modified my traps encasing them in bubblewrap leaving a pocked in the bublewrap under the nest chamber of the trap, here I would place a disposable heat pad (I have a box of them) to keep it warm, I added an immense amount of food to each trap and I set these where I caught plenty of small mammals during the autumn.

With my heated traps in place I headed home. I was on site early Saturday because I was nervous of the very cold conditions overnight. I only had three captures but all were alive and well and I was pleased to show field vole, water shrew in addition to the Harvest mouse to Stephanie and Tim who showed their appreciation with a box of chocolates - many thanks.

I only took a few pics below but Tim must have worn his camera out.

Mark
Tremendous ingenuity! Well done. I shall look out for Stephanie and Tim's report with interest: I may well be asking for help from them in the spring.

John
Old Monday 9th February 2015, 23:27   #36
dantheman
Bah humbug

Think I might have to keep a mammal list this year. On 5 so far, so don't think I'm ever going to be a contender really , but interesting reading/seeing how others with a little more commitment are doing.

Good stuff.
Old Tuesday 10th February 2015, 11:46   #37
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

Quote:
Tremendous ingenuity! Well done. I shall look out for Stephanie and Tim's report with interest: I may well be asking for help from them in the spring.

John
I have also asked them for some help - may want to combine efforts

Mark

Old Tuesday 10th February 2015, 11:48   #38
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Think I might have to keep a mammal list this year. On 5 so far, so don't think I'm ever going to be a contender really , but interesting reading/seeing how others with a little more commitment are doing.

Good stuff.
Nice one, I am sure we will all help with questions etc. you may have

Mark

Old Tuesday 10th February 2015, 17:16   #39
Farnboro John

Quote:

Good stuff.
You're in a good place to pick up some cetaceans, anyway. And its not far to go and get that pesky shrew!

John
Old Tuesday 10th February 2015, 19:33   #40
prhodes

In north Herts on Sunday these Fallow Deer were nice to see.

By the way, we recently enjoyed a birding trip to Morocco including a long, long drive down to the Aoussard Road. As it was our first trip we concentrated on birds, and mammals were very limited - just Fat Sand Rat and African Savannah Hare. We did enjoy reading Mark's report and wondering about going back on a mammal trip one day (not under estimating the technical demands of such a trip) - well perhaps if you could fly all the way down on Easyjet!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fallow Deeremail.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	532183  

Last edited by prhodes : Tuesday 10th February 2015 at 21:53.
Old Thursday 12th February 2015, 20:38   #41
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhodes View Post
In north Herts on Sunday these Fallow Deer were nice to see.

By the way, we recently enjoyed a birding trip to Morocco including a long, long drive down to the Aoussard Road. As it was our first trip we concentrated on birds, and mammals were very limited - just Fat Sand Rat and African Savannah Hare. We did enjoy reading Mark's report and wondering about going back on a mammal trip one day (not under estimating the technical demands of such a trip) - well perhaps if you could fly all the way down on Easyjet!

Phil
You can of course fly to Dakhla ... presume you saw this thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298874

Top place, wish we'd more effort on the mammals too (though did see Fennec Fox by chance).

Had a site for Fallow Deer pointed out to me the other day - been a long time since seen one of them.
Old Thursday 12th February 2015, 20:44   #42
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHows View Post
Nice one, I am sure we will all help with questions etc. you may have

Mark
Quote:
You're in a good place to pick up some cetaceans, anyway. And its not far to go and get that pesky shrew!

John
Cheers, looks like I might be joining the community then ... if that's ok. Should have made more effort with the mammals over the years, guess it's not too late to start ...

wrt The Shrew - not even been out to those islands for a few years now, but if I do ... might look for some gen tbh. Falmouth has some cetaceans - last year Risso's, Bottlenose and Harbour Porpoise, but have to go a bit further afield usually for Common Dolphin and Minke Whale (only to The Lizard possibly).

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 12th February 2015 at 20:50.
Old Thursday 12th February 2015, 20:49   #43
dantheman
Bah humbug

So ...

Was speaking only on Tues to someone who reckoned it would be easier to get a higher butterfly list in the uk than a mammal list by chance in a year - I didn't agree, but it might be close.

Reckon with some minimal targeting, 20 or perhaps even 30 species (with luck and more targeting) may be possible in Cornwall in a years birding, we'll see ...

So far, on 6 -

1 Rabbit
2 Red Fox
3 Grey Squirrel
4 Wood Mouse (x3)
5 Brown Rat
6 Bottlenose Dolphin (x6, Carbis Bay on Tuesday)

Did pick up the cheapie bat detector from Argos last year, and access to a few acres of grassland, we'll see ...

(Edit: hang on a minute, perhaps I should actually start a new list thread of mine own on here? ... !!)

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 12th February 2015 at 20:58.
Old Friday 13th February 2015, 12:13   #44
prhodes

Quote:
You can of course fly to Dakhla ... presume you saw this thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298874

Top place, wish we'd more effort on the mammals too (though did see Fennec Fox by chance).

Had a site for Fallow Deer pointed out to me the other day - been a long time since seen one of them.
Thanks Dan. Interesting thread. We were unable to find any Sudan Golden Sparrows, but as first time visitors we were more than happy with the Desert Sparrows and other regular desert species. I'd love to go back sometime, perhaps using the flight down to Dakhla.
Old Friday 20th February 2015, 21:19   #45
Farnboro John

I've been working on a home project. It gives me something to do when I don't feel like standing over a Badger sett for hours....

Since Christmas my local foxes have been competing (increasingly) to get to a single chicken leg provided for passing trade outside my front door. At least three individuals swing past in the hope of getting it. Only one leg per night: I don't mind them becoming habituated but I don't want any of them actually dependent.

Anyway, this week I've started sitting in the hall waiting for them with my camera. One has already worked out (1) that the human is harmless; (2) that the flashy thing is harmless; (3) he's still allowed to get the chicken. His nerve is getting better very quickly, the first time I sat up over the chicken it took him five attempts to get to the chicken before he got brave enough. Tonight he made to dive for cover, stopped, turned away a bit, turned back, then came in and snaffled it. And I got a picture. I shall do better in future!

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015_02_20_Red_Fox (533x800).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	533216  
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 14:38   #46
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Nice lie in?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7729.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	533292  
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 19:38   #47
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
Nice lie in?
Had one this year.... as long as you didn't get any Moles I can live with the consequences.

John
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 20:27   #48
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

It was actually a tick for me! Well pleased. Heard no talk of Moles on site, so hopefully you can rest easy.

Cheers

James
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 21:44   #49
chris butterworth
aka The Person Named Above

Quote:
Had one this year.... as long as you didn't get any Moles I can live with the consequences.

John
There was one yesterday.

"Before the internet, this was all fields."
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 22:10   #50
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butterworth View Post
There was one yesterday.
Inside information?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread