Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

eBird and Splits

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 18:03   #1
martinboer

eBird and Splits

Hi all,

I've been using eBird to log all my sightings (going back to 2003) and it also serves as my lifelist. I realize of course that there are splits and I am wondering if eBird automatically updates the splits for me (knowing for example where I saw the species) or if that needs to be done by hand in eBird.

If the latter, are there good tools to use for that? I've seen Bubo and Scythebill mentioned as good databases.

Hopefully, eBird already updates for me but just wanted to check.

Many thanks,

Martin
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 11:47   #2
Dan Miller

Yes, eBird will update your list to account for splits and lumps when it can. See http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/po...ccur-?t=401194 for more information.

Dan
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 16:42   #3
martinboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
Yes, eBird will update your list to account for splits and lumps when it can. See http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/po...ccur-?t=401194 for more information.

Dan
Hey Dan, I much appreciate your answering my question. Let's say I saw a bird in Namibia and in South Africa in the early 2000s - both having the same name. If it has split since then, would eBird then make the change whereby I have an additional species on my list? Would there also be an alert for this, or would we notice by seeing our life list go up/down? Thanks, Martin
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 21:10   #4
Dan Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinboer View Post
Hey Dan, I much appreciate your answering my question. Let's say I saw a bird in Namibia and in South Africa in the early 2000s - both having the same name. If it has split since then, would eBird then make the change whereby I have an additional species on my list? Would there also be an alert for this, or would we notice by seeing our life list go up/down? Thanks, Martin
Assuming you had entered them into eBird before the split, and they can be differentiated (e.g. the split species have no overlapping range, or you entered a subspecies level entry), then they should be split automatically and your list count would increase. There may be cases where you would have to adjust your list following the split, if eBird doesn't have enough information about your entry to make the call itself.

eBird will notify users when it is updating its taxonomy. I don't recall if it notifies users individually when their list is changed (I think not, but don't hold me to it). Here is an example of the general notice you will get following a taxonomy update: https://ebird.org/news/taxonomy-update-for-2017/

Dan
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 00:57   #5
martinboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
Assuming you had entered them into eBird before the split, and they can be differentiated (e.g. the split species have no overlapping range, or you entered a subspecies level entry), then they should be split automatically and your list count would increase. There may be cases where you would have to adjust your list following the split, if eBird doesn't have enough information about your entry to make the call itself.

eBird will notify users when it is updating its taxonomy. I don't recall if it notifies users individually when their list is changed (I think not, but don't hold me to it). Here is an example of the general notice you will get following a taxonomy update: https://ebird.org/news/taxonomy-update-for-2017/

Dan
Dan, this is all much appreciated. Many thanks!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: