Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 09:40   #1
Sbiriguda

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps

Hello,
I have to buy a strap, and I am thinking of Black Rapid Sport
Honestly it's a bit expensive provided I am just an occasional photographer...
I was also suggested to take a look to Lowepro (which is very likely to be not that cheap either) but until now I found only straps with the camera bag, not without bag like the Black Rapid
Anyway I am also considering some low cost alternatives like these ones:
https://www.amazon.it/Coolway-Profe...-1-spons&psc=1
https://www.amazon.it/Tracolla-Withl...na%2Caps%2C156
Would they be any use or are they just crap?
Thanks
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 10:40   #2
stevo

Get a Joby sling strap.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 11:00   #3
Sbiriguda

Thanks, that sounds nice, but I think the Nikon D3100 + Sigma contemporary 150-600 mm are too heavy for that one. Too bad because that sounds very good and right now is discounted on Amazon Italy
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 17:49   #4
john118

I have a Black Rapid and its awesome, is it sort of expensive? Yes.
But why would you cheap out on something that is going to hold your DSLR and lens over your shoulder?
Surely a Black rapid strap is cheaper than a broken lens and camera.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 00:37   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 07:03   #6
marcsantacurz

Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.

You'll be carrying about 3kg around all day. It is really worth it to save your neck with the BR Sport. If you're young and don't get perturbed by weights around your neck, then maybe one of the cheaper sling straps will be ok.

Another option is to get what's called a "backpack camera strap." If you will be wearing a good backpack (like a technical hiking pack), you can get these and hang the camera from the backpack strap. It will bounce around a bit, but I usually also use a bungee cord to hold it in place when doing more concerted walking. Some need D rings and some have rectangular clips that latch around the existing strap. some attach to the L+R straps, some only to one or another. You will likely need to buy a 1/4-20 connector with rubber washer (very important to help prevent it coming loose) to attach to the lens (e.g. BlackRapid FR-5 FastenR), but without the BR Sports swivel joint, it might tend to unscrew even with the rubber washer.

Some examples: Think Tank Photo Camera Support Straps V2.0 (Black), BlackRapid Backpack Breathe Camera Strap, Sun-Sniper Rotaball Backpack Strap with Rotaball Connector.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 16:00   #7
seaspirit

I use one of these (link below) for over 7 years without issues. Like the mounting plate better than the knob-style used by BRapid for bulky gear. I routinely carry a D800 with grip and mounted 70-200 2.8, also used it with a 50 - 500 zoom in the past. Nice add-on would be a "under the arm strap" to keep the shoulder pad from sliding off the shoulder when using it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Rapid...sAAOSwCK1b87yj
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 17:54   #8
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun
I have had two Black Rapids break on me. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Luckily I have quick reactions. My cheapo copy has lasted far longer and had a safety attachment. Sorry I can't remember the brand and it doesn't say on it. Look at the choices on Amazon.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 30th April 2019, 20:24   #9
Sbiriguda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.
I think both low cost Black Strap clones at the links have an under-the-arm strap. Perhaps they might do the job...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: