Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sometimes Alpha Like Quality Hides In Plain Sight

Old Wednesday 5th June 2019, 14:57   #1
gcole

Sometimes Alpha Like Quality Hides In Plain Sight The Vixen 8x42 Artes J

These past two years have been a slowdown in optics purchases regarding my overwhelming desire mainly out of curiosity to try new products . Maybe its my age now or like many individuals who reach a certain time in their lives just loose interest. I would like to thank this Forum and the many friendly people who have helped keep me mentally active reading the many topics posted here. Having said this, many topics here have been on the 8x42 Binocular. .... regarding which is the best, size , price , and who really makes them. This brings me to the topic posted. The picture I have posted shows the Vixen 6x21 Artes monocular beside the Vixen 8x42 Artes J DCF ED binocular. I put the Artes monocular next to the 8x42 Artes J binocular mainly because they both appear to use the same type of ED glass. This is just conjecture on my part because of the similarity in the crisp/bright views. Now to what I think is one of the most underrated 8x42 binocular in its price range hiding in plain sight .....The Vixen 8x42 J DCF ED . What triggered this purchase ? I had to see if the Artes binoculars were as good as the Artes ED monocular. Then by chance I was able to use a pair of the Opticron 8x42 DBA VHD binoculars and to my surprise both the Vixen and Opticron binoculars were so similar both Physically/ Optically I then decided to buy the Vixen 8x42 ... why not it was half the price of the Opticron. The Artes is still on sale where I purchased mine at BH Photo for $319. Its amazing what you will find hiding in plain sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BCDFC7D-ED71-4F12-9CCC-F1103E624FF6.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	697078  Click image for larger version

Name:	664C2D51-7658-46A2-BC60-E75799EEFD07.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	697086  

Last edited by gcole : Wednesday 5th June 2019 at 17:30.
Old Thursday 6th June 2019, 01:20   #2
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

"...many topics here have been on the 8x42 Binocular. .... regarding which is the best, size , price , and who really makes them. This brings me to the topic posted. The picture I have posted shows the Vixen 6x21 Artes monocular beside the Vixen 8x42 Artes J DCF ED binocular. I put the Artes monocular next to the 8x42 Artes J binocular mainly because they both appear to use the same type of ED glass. This is just conjecture on my part because of the similarity in the crisp/bright views. Now to what I think is one of the most underrated 8x42 binocular in its price range hiding in plain sight .....The Vixen 8x42 J DCF ED . What triggered this purchase ? I had to see if the Artes binoculars were as good as the Artes ED monocular. Then by chance I was able to use a pair of the Opticron 8x42 DBA VHD binoculars and to my surprise both the Vixen and Opticron binoculars were so similar both Physically/ Optically I then decided to buy the Vixen 8x42 ... why not it was half the price of the Opticron. The Artes is still on sale where I purchased mine at BH Photo for $319. Its amazing what you will find hiding in plain sight."

Gcole,

Nice find. I also enjoy testing and trying to find good binoculars in the $200 to $400 range. Not only are they useful as loaners and in travel or for situations where you don't want to lose or damage a more expensive pair but IME comparing them to Alphas is enjoyable and educational. By comparing the "apples to the oranges", I learn to appreciate both the alphas and those best bang for the buck models even more. And a lot of people have some interest in binoculars but never actually buy. Or they buy a 20 x 60 zoom model with 25 mm objectives for $5.99 and wonder why on earth people bother. So, good quality mid priced bins - when you are done with them - make good gifts for those with an interest who would never actually get around to doing the research and buying a decent pair for themselves.

Those Vixen Artes are really nice looking BTW.

Mike

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: