Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Buying Help

Old Wednesday 26th June 2019, 20:00   #26
zzzzzz

Dennis do you still feel the Nikon e2 8x30 is better than the MHG?

Top reviews
Dennis W. Mau·October 29, 2017
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Better than the new Nikon 8x42 MHG at 1/2 the price!
The Nikon 8x30 EII is better than the new Nikon 8x42 MHG at 1/2 the price.The MHG will no doubt be a good binocular for a lot of people but it is not for me. The Nikon 8x30 E2 works better for my eyes. It gives me a more relaxed view maybe due to the porro-prism design with no blackouts, a bigger FOV with 3D realism instead of the picture like view of the MHG, it controls CA better than the MHG, it is sharper on-axis and the edges are just as sharp and the sweet spot is just as big as the MHG in my opinion. Plus it is 1/2 the price of the MHG. It just goes to show you you have to try a binocular yourself to determine if it works for you. The EII is absolutely the best binocular you can buy under $1000.00 and really it is very,very close to the best binoculars made costing over $2500.00 like the Swarovski SV or Zeiss SF.
3 people found this helpful

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"I'm wondering the same thing and in particular the relative merits of the 8x42 MHG vs the Swarovski EL 8x32 SV."

If I had to choose between the SV 8x32 and the Nikon 8x42 MHG there is no doubt I would take the SV but it is twice the price. The quality and optics of the SV are second to none but the MHG is an excellent value at $1K. The SV 8x32 has a flatter field and sharper edges and almost as big of a FOV as the MHG and it is a higher quality binocular and it should be. The HG's are a good choice because they perform like a 42mm but they are the size and weight of a 32mm. If you don't wear glasses don't forget the Porro's like the Habicht because they offer a lot of the advantages the Nikon HG does being less than 23 oz. for the 10x40 and the 7x42 and offering the performance of the bigger aperture plus very high light transmission. So they are light and bright plus you get the benefit of the 3D porro view and they can be purchased for less money than the either the Conquest or the Nikon HG for around $700.00 new.
Old Wednesday 26th June 2019, 20:33   #27
mpeace

Quote:
"I'm wondering the same thing and in particular the relative merits of the 8x42 MHG vs the Swarovski EL 8x32 SV."

If I had to choose between the SV 8x32 and the Nikon 8x42 MHG there is no doubt I would take the SV but it is twice the price. The quality and optics of the SV are second to none but the MHG is an excellent value at $1K. The SV 8x32 has a flatter field and sharper edges and almost as big of a FOV as the MHG and it is a higher quality binocular and it should be. The HG's are a good choice because they perform like a 42mm but they are the size and weight of a 32mm. If you don't wear glasses don't forget the Porro's like the Habicht because they offer a lot of the advantages the Nikon HG does being less than 23 oz. for the 10x40 and the 7x42 and offering the performance of the bigger aperture plus very high light transmission. So they are light and bright plus you get the benefit of the 3D porro view and they can be purchased for less money than the either the Conquest or the Nikon HG for around $700.00 new.
Thanks for your comments Dennis and Chuck. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on a pair of SV 8x32. I like my my SV 8.5x42s, but with their weight I end up using my 8x30 MHG more. I can see myself selling both and just having the SV 8x32.
Old Wednesday 26th June 2019, 23:05   #28
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
GAL1LEO,

Have you looked into AU groups like BirdLife? They have events all over, including Queensland. I bet you could join a mailing list or something and arrange to try out a few bins with their members. There's also many other birding clubs in the area, it seems (http://www.ausbird.com/bird-clubs-societies/).
No I haven't, good advice. I will look into a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I am not sure if you are comfortable buying used.
I'm not against it, I like new things though :)

Cheers for the help Marc
Old Wednesday 26th June 2019, 23:07   #29
GAL1LEO

Thanks for the help everyone.
I appreciate it :)

Continue the chat as you see fit.

Cheers
Brendan
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 00:46   #30
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
Thanks for your comments Dennis and Chuck. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on a pair of SV 8x32. I like my my SV 8.5x42s, but with their weight I end up using my 8x30 MHG more. I can see myself selling both and just having the SV 8x32.
Honestly. If you can only have one an 8x32 SV is a pretty good choice.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 01:10   #31
[email protected]

Yes, I would still say the Nikon 8x30 E2 is better for me than the Nikon HG 8x42 but when somebody ask's what binocular do I recommend for them I rarely suggest a porro because for most people they don't work as good especially those who wear glasses and for obvious reasons they are just not as popular because they are considered old-fashioned and the E2 is not waterproof. I actually preferred the Nikon HG 10x42 over the HG 8x42. I don't have the HG's anymore because mainly I have several Swarovki SV's in 8.5x42, 8x32, and 10x32 but I still have the E2 because with it's huge FOV which is probably the biggest on the market and porro prism design it is unique. I recently compared my Nikon 8x30 E2 to my Habicht 8x30 W and IMO there is no doubt the Habicht is better but I still like the E2. Actually, here I would recommend a Habicht 10x40 W but most people would just laugh! They don't know how good they are.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 04:29   #32
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Honestly. If you can only have one an 8x32 SV is a pretty good choice.
What does the SV stand for?
In Australia we have them described as EL 8x42 WB etc.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 04:32   #33
GAL1LEO

Also, such varying prices makes it hard for a newbie, like me, to line them all up.
Monarch HG 8x42 is about $1500 AUD, Conquest HD 8x42 $1350 AUD, SLC 8x42 $2100 AUD and the EL 8x32 $2600 AUD
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 06:46   #34
42za

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL1LEO View Post
Hi All,
I am in the market for a new set of 8x42 binoculars.
The plan is that they will be with me for a long time.
I am in the tier two category and have tried to do as much research as I can.
I am looking at the Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch HG. The Swarovski is not out completely of the picture but might be a little bit out of reach price-wise

Anyway my issue is Brisbane, Australia doesn't seem to have the stock that will allow me try before I buy.

Any suggestions as to what I should do or just take a punt on a set?

Cheers
Brendan
Hello GAL1LEO,
If you can find them I would suggest that you also have a look at the Kowa BD42-8XD Prominar 8 x 42 bins , I have these and find them to be very good overall.
I am also in the position of having very few choices available as far as binoculars are concerned.
Good luck with your search.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 07:32   #35
mpeace

Quote:
What does the SV stand for?
In Australia we have them described as EL 8x42 WB etc.
SV stands for Swarovision, which is the field flattened version of the ELs, so the last two versions (Swarovision and Field Pro), but not the original ELs.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 08:10   #36
yarrellii

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Weak/flimsy/durability- No not all. In fact the MHG comes across as very stout. I'll give you that the MHG doesn't have thicker armoring on every inch of it as does a Swarovski SLC for example. So there is a weight savings. ALSO the MHG features a magnesium alloy body to help keep weight down. Everyone uses their binoculars in different ways and takes care of them differently but I really don't see any durability issues in the future for this binocular. It's a relatively young binocular so time will tell but I'd bet there won't be any issues coming up with that.
Chuck, thank you so much, as always, for your great information and availability, it is such a great luck to get this fist-hand information and opinions :)
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 13:51   #37
zzzzzz

Quote:
Yes, I would still say the Nikon 8x30 E2 is better for me than the Nikon HG 8x42 but when somebody ask's what binocular do I recommend for them I rarely suggest a porro because for most people they don't work as good especially those who wear glasses and for obvious reasons they are just not as popular because they are considered old-fashioned and the E2 is not waterproof. I actually preferred the Nikon HG 10x42 over the HG 8x42. I don't have the HG's anymore because mainly I have several Swarovki SV's in 8.5x42, 8x32, and 10x32 but I still have the E2 because with it's huge FOV which is probably the biggest on the market and porro prism design it is unique. I recently compared my Nikon 8x30 E2 to my Habicht 8x30 W and IMO there is no doubt the Habicht is better but I still like the E2. Actually, here I would recommend a Habicht 10x40 W but most people would just laugh! They don't know how good they are.
How does the E2 compare with Toric?
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 14:12   #38
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzz View Post
How does the E2 compare with Toric?
I haven't had the Tract Toric 8x42 in awhile so it is a little hard to go from memory. I liked the Toric a lot but eventually I was seduced by larger FOV binoculars. The Toric is gone and I still have the E2 so that should answer your question.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 22:20   #39
lestat
Penguin fan

Quote:
Sounds like you're in the same boat as I am. There was a discounted 1st gen SV for sale earlier this month just €1300 near where I live, but I just spend all the money on a new scope so I reluctantly had to pass on the bin. I think I'll probably get one next year.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 22:30   #40
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
No doubt I use the SV 8X32 more. There ARE times I do like to split hairs and use the 8.5X. Going birding tomorrow at Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive in Florida. I really don't know what to expect but I decided I wanted just a LITTLE more magnification so I have the 8.5X42 with me. Very few regret getting a SV 8X32 from what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrellii View Post
Chuck, thank you so much, as always, for your great information and availability, it is such a great luck to get this fist-hand information and opinions :)
My pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat View Post
Sounds like you're in the same boat as I am. There was a discounted 1st gen SV for sale earlier this month just €1300 near where I live, but I just spend all the money on a new scope so I reluctantly had to pass on the bin. I think I'll probably get one next year.
Always next year!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 03:26   #41
GAL1LEO

Quote:
The SV 32 behaves more like a 42mm and the MHG in some ways behaves a lot like a 32mm. I have to say that with the funds, I'd probably rather have the SV 32mm but not by much. Mainly the flatter field wins here for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Some might prefer a slightly smaller field sharp to the edges, others might go for the wider field - or have their cake and eat it too and shell out the dough for the SF.
I removed the Conquest as I like the idea of a super wide FOV.

and....based on advice above I have included the SV 8x32

So Nikon HG 8x42 vs Swarovski 8x32 SV

To me the above two quotes from Chill6x6 and jring are is biggest decisions I have to make to decide what to buy.

Does $1165 AUD extra for the 8x32 SV = edge sharpness, true flat field and a weight saving.

Last edited by GAL1LEO : Wednesday 3rd July 2019 at 09:07.
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 04:56   #42
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
I removed the Conquest as I like the idea of a super wide FOV.

and....based on advice above I have included the SV 8x32

So Nikon HG 8x42 vs Swarovski 8x32 SV

To me the above two quotes from Chill6x6 and jring are is biggest decisions I have have to make to decide what to buy.

Does $1165 AUD extra for the 8x32 SV = edge sharpness, true flat field and a weight saving.
Do you wear eyeglasses? All things being equal a 42mm IS generally easier to use than a 32mm for eyeglass wearers. 4mm exit pupil vs. 5.25mm exit pupil. Since you are buying these sight unseen I just want you to know that. I wear eyeglasses so any binocular I use is eyeglass friendly including the 32mm SV. I've used the 8X32 SV so much it's second nature but most eyeglass users do find that a 42mm is easier to use, at least in the beginning.

No doubt the SV 8X32 IS 2x the price of the MHG. Is it WORTH is? Well the short answer is no, it really isn't.. BUT...

The SV 8X32 IS a better made binocular. Not that the MHG is poorly made, it's not. The SVs central diopter adjustment IS among the best. The case is the best. TRUE edge to edge sharpness. Handling may very well be the best of any binocular but the MHG is no slouch. So the extra money goes towards several different features, most of which aren't necessary but certainly nice to have.

I'd be happy with the MHG. It's a great birding binocular. The very fact that the MHG is brought up in the same sentence as the SV 8X32 says a lot about the MHG. But If I had the cash and was willing to part with it for a binocular and if I'm honest with myself, I'd want the SV. That's just me.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 07:34   #43
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Do you wear eyeglasses?
No I don't, but I am booked in for this Friday for an eye test. Things don't seem bad but I reckon will be crisper with glasses.....so will wait and see.

Thanks for the info. It's much easier to justify the Nikon over the SV although I love crisp optics. I have a TV60 and TV eyepieces as well have always bought L series Canon lenses.

Sigh
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 13:55   #44
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
No I don't, but I am booked in for this Friday for an eye test. Things don't seem bad but I reckon will be crisper with glasses.....so will wait and see.

Thanks for the info. It's much easier to justify the Nikon over the SV although I love crisp optics. I have a TV60 and TV eyepieces as well have always bought L series Canon lenses.

Sigh
GAL1LEO,

Cutting to the chase here, based on everything you say, I'll step out over the line. Buy the SV 8x32. If it works for you, and it probably will, you will never regret having spent the extra money. Always remember Rule #1: "Anytime you are not using binoculars, you are wasting time."

Mike

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 19:12   #45
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhogue View Post
GAL1LEO,

Cutting to the chase here, based on everything you say, I'll step out over the line. Buy the SV 8x32. If it works for you, and it probably will, you will never regret having spent the extra money. Always remember Rule #1: "Anytime you are not using binoculars, you are wasting time."

Mike
It's always much easier to spend someone else's money, but I'd agree. I got a deal on the EL Fpro 8.5x42 and they just blow away the mid-ranges I've tried. They are crisper and more vibrant. I've not used the SV 8x32 or the HG, so cannot really compare them, but if you can do it, go for it.

Personally, I use the Kowa Genesis 8x33 in the x32 range. It's about US$1200. It does everything I need in an x32. The Genesis is 140m @ 1000m (420'@1000yd), close focus 1.5m (4.9'), and 590g (21oz). The optics are great. The EL SV is 140m @ 1000m, close focus 1.9m, and 595g. For me, the .4m improvement in close focus is important (I look at bees and flowers close by out my breakfast window) and the price is great for the quality. They are not a flat field.

Others have praised the Genesis and put it in the same class optics as the top-tier [1, both the review and in various replies].

Marc

[1] https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=336311
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 01:33   #46
GAL1LEO

Thankyou.
The Genesis 33 here in Australia is a couple of hundred more than the Nikon.

I will have a read of the review.

I have no doubt I will love the SV. $1100 is a lot of extra $$$ to part with though
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 15:16   #47
[email protected]

IMO I would go with the SV 8x32. I have had and compared it too the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and it is quite a bit better. I have the SV 8.5x42 FP and the SV 8x32 and the bigger 42mm does not blow away the smaller 32mm. In fact if I had to get rid of one of them it would probably be the SV 8.5x42 FP. The littler glass has a bigger FOV and more WOW factor and it is much lighter and smaller. It does not give up much to the 42mm.
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 19:59   #48
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Keeping in mind Brendan's location is important.
In Brisbane the price difference between the 8x42 MGH and a Swaro 8x32 SV is about 73%.
In the US the difference is about 250% because the Nikon list price is less and is often discounted and the Swaros are not. This makes the decision a lot simpler for most.

This is assuming that what Lee mentions in his post #2 isn't available to you.
IF ordering both at the same time is available to you from an internet company, then why wouldn't you do that and compare for yourself?

I for one, would be interested in what you think comparing these bins side by side.

Full disclosure? Big fan of the 8x42 MHG.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Thursday 4th July 2019 at 20:09.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 21:28   #49
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I have the 8X42 MHG, not the 10X42, and it is probably one of the best 8X42s for ease of use.
The SV 8X32 is still a 8X32, I just prefer the 8X42 format for eye placement and a more relaxed view.
If you can try both, then you can make the decision.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 08:42   #50
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I have the 8X42 MHG, not the 10X42, and it is probably one of the best 8X42s for ease of use.
The SV 8X32 is still a 8X32, I just prefer the 8X42 format for eye placement and a more relaxed view.
If you can try both, then you can make the decision.

Andy W.
Thanks Andy, do you have any other bins and if so where does the MHG sit in your usage?
Cheers
Brendan

Last edited by GAL1LEO : Sunday 7th July 2019 at 08:46.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: