Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is it worth 7X?

Old Friday 12th July 2019, 05:06   #26
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.travis View Post
Much cheaper 7x option (not 42mm), but still a good bino IMO is Sightmark Solitude 7x36 XD. I purchased one a few years after selling my Zen-ray 7x36. I missed the huge field of view. It's my go to for tight space birding such as in dense growth. Other than that 7x for me is not enough magnification to ID small birds at distance.
I've had that Sightmark in my "save for later" cart for a while. It looked interesting and at 9* (157m/472') look pretty wide by modern standards.

They are kind of reviewed here, compared to the Viper HD 8x42, which the reviewer found brighter at dusk.

Marc
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 18:59   #27
w.travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I've had that Sightmark in my "save for later" cart for a while. It looked interesting and at 9* (157m/472') look pretty wide by modern standards.

They are kind of reviewed here, compared to the Viper HD 8x42, which the reviewer found brighter at dusk.

Marc
They are practically identical to the Zen-Ray EDII 7x36, which I previously owned. However I feel the brightness and clarity of the view between Sightmark Solitude 7x36 XD and ZR EDII go to the ZR. Yet the focus wheel and durability goes to the Sightmark. The Sightmark is definitely worth a look to anyone who wants a 7x, wide field of view, non-alpha bin.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: