Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eyecups coming off binoculars

Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 09:52   #1
Arbu

Eyecups coming off binoculars

I have two pairs of binoculars, one made by Olympus, and another by an American company called Weaver, and both have this system of eyecups that can be screwed up and down. On both of them the eyecups have come off. I can put them back but they soon fall off again. I've seen other birders' binoculars with the same problem.

Optically, I'm quite happy with both pairs. They each cost about 200 and I've borrowed binoculars costing much more than that and not found the optical improvement to be all that pronounced.

So is there any fix for the eyecup problem? Or can anyone recommend some binoculars in a similar price range that don't have this problem?

Thanks.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 11:45   #2
Tringa45

Most current binoculars have removable eyecups.
Just screw them up tightly in the collapsed position and they won't loosen in the extended position.

John
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 09:59   #3
richard866945
Bino repair man

I guess you have eyecups which "screw" up and down / twist up depending whether you are wearing spectacles or not and it is the rubber covering that keeps falling off.
Please do not use super glue as that hardens the soft rubber.
In my workshop, I use rubber based contact adhesive . A small amount smeared on the two surfaces, left to dry for a few minutes then quickly push the rubber eyecup over the twist up piece. It might grip a bit before getting into its final position but the cup can be pushed into place and it should stay in place for ages.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: