Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unidentified plant

Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 12:43   #1
coaltit

Unidentified plant

I have growing wild in my garden a plant which I believe belongs to the Sowthistle family when I first saw it I thought it was a common sowthistle I nearly pulled it up till I noticed It had a distinctive single row of spines running along the main rib of each leaf which are now approximately six Inches In lenght when full grown and lanceolate in shape and have a slight prickly edge but nothing like spiny sowthistle otherwise no other spines on the leaves at all at the top of the plant which is close to seven feet tall now small yellow flowers gather at the end of thin stems also from the centre of each leaf from where it joins the main stem similar small thin stems with flower buds are present I,ve checked up on the spiny sowthistle but the leaves are totally different, I,m wondering If this Is one of the glabrous forms where some Intermediates may be hybrids, I,ve been trying to de Imageize some photos I,ve taken but I can,t do due to the nature of my camera get real close ups like I want apart from one picture taken which highlights some of the plant but this Imageizer Is temperamental I use I hope someone can throw some light on to this and give me some Idea what the plant is I,d also like to mention the main stem is round in shape.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 16:29   #2
aeshna5

We need a photo!
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 17:27   #3
Ficedula
velico ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
I have growing wild in my garden a plant which I believe belongs to the Sowthistle family when I first saw it I thought it was a common sowthistle I nearly pulled it up till I noticed It had a distinctive single row of spines running along the main rib of each leaf which are now approximately six Inches In lenght when full grown and lanceolate in shape and have a slight prickly edge but nothing like spiny sowthistle otherwise no other spines on the leaves at all at the top of the plant which is close to seven feet tall now small yellow flowers gather at the end of thin stems also from the centre of each leaf from where it joins the main stem similar small thin stems with flower buds are present I,ve checked up on the spiny sowthistle but the leaves are totally different, I,m wondering If this Is one of the glabrous forms where some Intermediates may be hybrids, I,ve been trying to de Imageize some photos I,ve taken but I can,t do due to the nature of my camera get real close ups like I want apart from one picture taken which highlights some of the plant but this Imageizer Is temperamental I use I hope someone can throw some light on to this and give me some Idea what the plant is I,d also like to mention the main stem is round in shape.
try Lactuca serriola
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:33   #4
coaltit

Unidentified Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficedula View Post
try Lactuca serriola
Hi Ficedula, You put me on the right track with Lactuca thou not not serriola Instead It was
Virosa wild/opium lettuce Its amazeing what these plants can achieve medically speaking and again in the right hands for safety reasons no doubt the seed that this plant grew from was from a bird among other seedlings of other species of plants that turn up occasionally growing unfortuneately not in the right places or I,d leave them, Anyway thanks again for the Info.. Coaltit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: