• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten/Loch Ruthven (1 Viewer)

I am not sure why the replies have been branded as "negative"? I thought it was a very appropriate place to post useful information concerning one of the places being discussed.

There was no implication at all about anybody being "irresponsible" or "idiots" in the posts. My post carefully stated that there is a risk of "accidental" disturbance if you are not familiar with the site. Which there is.

I merely pointed out to anyone giving information to ensure it was ok, and thus try and ensure responsible visiting. It is lack of, or incorrect information which often causes problems in the first place, no matter how well meaning birders are visiting them.

And just to clarify, I didn't get the information second hand myself, I have lived, worked and birded locally to these sites for over 15 years.

J

I said "probably" not "definately".

Referring to "idiots" was mentioned in the previous post (I can read thank you) but how on earth you can assume that I will do the same is beyond me!!!!!

Anyway, lets not get into petty childish arguments over this as if one wants to "put one over on the other".

You have made your point.

I have already received several PM'S since from people trying to help.

Phil

Also a good opportunity to plug the forum in my signature.........has a good membership of local birders as well as anybody interested in the area. Please post sightings there too of course!

John

when we were there we were watching them when a people carrier turned up with a whole group of people who went and walked out onto the moor watching them making loads of noise, as you can guess they flew off. there was also a man who we challenged because he was doing the same, he said that he didn't care because it was the only way to see them.

It's a shame that there are some people who have such a low level of respect for the birds. Hopefully not birdforum members though.

There is a code of conduct for birdwatchers at black grouse leks which is available here:

http://www.blackgrouse.info/forbirdwatchers/code.htm

I was in Scotland in '03 and had great views of BG's at the Linn of Dee. Are they still there, as I'm taking a few people up for a long weekend in April...?
Thanks

Ads

Hi all - following with interest. I am also up 3-6 May (England will be empty that weekend lol) fortunately, I have Black Grouse as we are blessed with them in County Durham - perhaps some of you guys might care to travel via Durham en route;)

This will be my 4th year running to the area and it just gets better and better. I have hit lucky with the Capper watch 3 times out of 4 - only once did they not show, meaning an early start the next day.

Only managed Cresties & Crossbill once - it is no fun craning your neck in Abernethy Forest as the rain shoots into your eyes lol. Loch an Eileen, Rothiemurchus (for fishing Osprey) as well as Lochindorb and Ruthven are all possibilities (apologies for any spelling mistakes).

I am staying at nearby Kingussie - a few year ago we counted about 9 Dipper territories in the town!

I wish I was fit enough to attempt Cairngorm as Ptarmigan & Dotterel would be fantastic - though I know there are other Ptarmigan sites. I also managed Golden Eagle in Dumfrieshire last weekend so another target met and more time to look elsewhere:t:

I should look at my notes and remember the other places we visited!

planning a trip april 2011 any info appreciated regards highland birds Caper,Dotterell,Ptarmigan and Goldie. and success of trips from these previous years

Hi Trevor, I've seen Ptarmigan in the Northern Corries and on Beinn Liath Mor in the Fannaichs which is about an hour north of Inverness. If you want to see them while based in Aviemore then the walk in to Coire an t-sneachda is reasonably straightforward. However we've had two fairly serious winters on the trot and there's a good chance of snow in the corries even in summer. I'd recommend giving yourself at least an hour to walk in (NOT 15 minutes) and having the skills to navigate in a mountain environment. You'll frequently see ptarmigan and Snow buntings in the corrie. The buntings are pretty bold and I've had them mug me for sandwich crumbs when I stopped for lunch! |=)|

I've never had much luck with Golden Eagles but have seen a them when I was up in Assynt a couple of times last year. Both times was around the Stac Pollaidh/Cul Mor area. I've also seen them over in Glenelg whilst looking for Sea Eagles. Neither of which will be much use to you if you plan on staying in Speyside!

planning a trip april 2011 any info appreciated regards highland birds Caper,Dotterell,Ptarmigan and Goldie. and success of trips from these previous years

Hi Trevor,

Try the Caper watch at Loch Garten - early start though;). Full details will appear on the RSPB website for opening hours etc

You can't beat Loch Ruthven RSPB for Slavs - they are right in front of the hide. This is easily combined with a morning trip down the Findhorn Valley - very good for raptors including godies, ring ouzel, dipper etc.

April is a bit early for dotterel though - you'll just have to come back in may or June - never a hardship

HTH

Gordon

Thanks for the advice looking forward to seeing some wilderness birds. Perhaps post closer to the time for up to date info.
Trevor

LOL what an unashamed plug!!!;)

However, where is the best place to purchase said publication?

Any BF discount?

Sadly I sold all my 'cheap' copies ages ago. The best place to order is direct from the publishers who will send you a copy by return of post. Do not use Amazon or WH Smith who have to order the book in specially which can take them months.

See http://www.buckinghampress.co.uk/

If you are heading up to Scotland, then there were copies at Vane Farm and Loch Garten RSPB when I looked last week, also Achins Bookshop just south of Lochinver if you are Inverpolly way.

HTH

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back