• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid vs Duovid ? (Help: I'm going to buy one..) (1 Viewer)

kpoth001

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy top-of-line binoculars. This will be my first expensive binoculars. Just wondering that which one is the better choice between Leica Ultravid (8X42 or 10X42) and Duovid in term of optical performance, easy of use, and etc. I'm concerned about optical performace the most. I'm living in the area that can't test both of them or other highend brands myself. I'm planning to get them from www.hotbuyelectronics.com. They are the same price ($1,245). I'm toward Leica Duovid because you can switch from 8X to 12x. It seems a good idea. Another question, anyone has any experiences with this website? Thanks.

You might want to check the site www.resellerratings.com before you go ahead or alternatively just do a google search on hotbuys electronics.
They are quite a bit cheaper than other places but I would be wary of them for that reason alone but best to do some research before you commit yourself for that kind of money.
Of course could be all rubbish and I have no personal experience of them so maybe OK. B and H photovideo seem to be very well thought of and I have always been well treated by them.
Just check it out first and if they do work well let us know

Last edited:
kpoth001 said:
Hi,

I'm in the market to buy top-of-line binoculars. This will be my first expensive binoculars. Just wondering that which one is the better choice between Leica Ultravid (8X42 or 10X42) and Duovid in term of optical performance, easy of use, and etc. I'm concerned about optical performace the most. I'm living in the area that can't test both of them or other highend brands myself. I'm planning to get them from www.hotbuyelectronics.com. They are the same price ($1,245). I'm toward Leica Duovid because you can switch from 8X to 12x. It seems a good idea. Another question, anyone has any experiences with this website? Thanks.

USA Warranties???
Reputation???
http://www.google.com/search?q=hotbuyselectronics&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&sa=N&scoring=d&tab=gw

I have a pair of duovids and love them - the switchable magnification is very useful - especially if you don't have a scope with you. Optically there is nothing to choose between the duovids and the ultravids - the only disadvantage to the duovids is that they are noticably heavier than the ultras (duovids are 1040g and ultras are 790g). They are both well balanced so you will not really notice the weight when using them, but it can notice towards the end of a long days birding.

Mannnnnnnnn, I would think twice before giving Hotbuys that much money. Eagle Optics is very trustworthy. Last I knew, they were selling the 8x42s for $1225.

If you are interested in a reduced price for a used pair of 8x42 Ultravids, send me a PM. The US warranty is transferrable.

I suggest you go for the 10x42 Ultravid. It has a larger true and apparent field than the Duovid at 10x and the Ultravid weighs quite a bit less.

The Duovid at 8x has the same field of view as the Ultravid at 10x.

The Duovid weighs 37 oz. the Ultravid 10x is 26.8 oz.

The Duovid has less eye relief at 8x or 12x than the Ultravid at 10x,

I have looked through the Duovid a few times but have not made a careful compairson between it ant the Ultravid. The Duovid gives a nice image but it is a little clumsy, at least at first, changing power. I would guess the Ultravid may have a slight edge in image quality.

I think the Ultravid would be easier to live with. The thumb bumps are nice, making the Ultravid easier to hold. I think it is unlikely you would miss seeing something at 10x in the Ultravid that you would see in the Duovid at 12x.

If you are interested in a different brand, you might want to get the Zeiss 10x42 FL for about the same or less money.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich N said:
I suggest you go for the 10x42 Ultravid. It has a larger true and apparent field than the Duovid at 10x and the Ultravid weighs quite a bit less.

The Duovid at 8x has the same field of view as the Ultravid at 10x.

The Duovid weighs 37 oz. the Ultravid 10x is 26.8 oz.

The Duovid has less eye relief at 8x or 12x than the Ultravid at 10x,

I have looked through the Duovid a few times but have not made a careful compairson between it ant the Ultravid. The Duovid gives a nice image but it is a little clumsy, at least at first, changing power. I would guess the Ultravid may have a slight edge in image quality.

I think the Ultravid would be easier to live with. The thumb bumps are nice, making the Ultravid easier to hold. I think it is unlikely you would miss seeing something at 10x in the Ultravid that you would see in the Duovid at 12x.

If you are interested in a different brand, you might want to get the Zeiss 10x42 FL for about the same or less money.

Rich

One advantage of 8x is the greater DOF and hence greater ease of viewing. There are some earlier threads on the Duovid in Bird Forum so a search should throw up some useful information.

Leif said:
One advantage of 8x is the greater DOF and hence greater ease of viewing. There are some earlier threads on the Duovid in Bird Forum so a search should throw up some useful information.

Then he could get the 8x42 Ultravid. Or, maybe that is what you were suggesting?

I'm always playing with the focuser so I don't find depth of field a big deal. I've not noticed the difference in DOF between my 8x and 10x binoculars.

IMHO, weight, field of view, and eye relief are bigger problems.

Rich

Last edited:
Speaking just for myself, between Ultravid & Duovid, I'd probably buy the Ultravid. If I need higher power, I have a scope available.

I found the following statement on the hotbuyelectronics website: "USA Warranty may be additional." The prices they quote probably do not include the USA warranty. I guess it's just me, but if I'm already spending well over a grand for binoculars, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a USA warranty. I'd expect hotbuyelectronics to replace anything that's defective out of the box, but, if you don't have the USA warranty, if something breaks later on, you'd have to send the bins back to Germany for service. Leica USA doesn't have the best reputation for warranty service, but the right dealer may be willing to go to bat for you. I had a lot of correspondence in early July with vuelux.com, and, had I decided to buy Leica, I might have bought from them, because they promise to handle warranty issues with Leica. Leica is all Vue Lux sells. As others have said, Eagle Optics also has an excellent reputation. I've had good luck with them, and their prices are competitive. They honored the original price they had quoted me (significantly less than their current advertised price) for the Zeiss FL when it finally became available.

Hi,

Thanks for all of your inputs (including personal messages). I guess I have to think twice about hotbuyelectronics (reputation and USA Warranty) after look at DavidP's and John Traynor's links. I will wait until Monday and call eagle optic to check the prices of Duovids, Ultravids 8x, 10x, and Zeiss FL (8x & 10x).

Rich N: Could you tell me where can I get the best deal on Zeiss 10x42 FL that you mentioned? Thanks.

Additional info: I'm living in Norfolk, VA USA. Does anyone know that where can I try some these binoculars? I wear glasses all the time. I don't have a scope yet. So if I don't get Duovids, I probably get a 10x. Is it a good process of thought?

Thanks in advance.

kpoth001 said:
Hi,

Thanks for all of your inputs (including personal messages). I guess I have to think twice about hotbuyelectronics (reputation and USA Warranty) after look at DavidP's and John Traynor's links. I will wait until Monday and call eagle optic to check the prices of Duovids, Ultravids 8x, 10x, and Zeiss FL (8x & 10x).

Rich N: Could you tell me where can I get the best deal on Zeiss 10x42 FL that you mentioned? Thanks.

Additional info: I'm living in Norfolk, VA USA. Does anyone know that where can I try some these binoculars? I wear glasses all the time. I don't have a scope yet. So if I don't get Duovids, I probably get a 10x. Is it a good process of thought?

Thanks in advance.

I purchased my Zeiss 10x42 FL from "Out of This World" in Mendocino, California. I don't know if it was "the" best price. I checked Adorama and they were showing the same price. The people at Out of This Word were very nice. I got to compare this Zeiss to the Leica and other binoculars. I was outside their store for close to 30 minutes with a friend switching binoculars back and forth. I was happy to give them my business.

I liked the Leica Ultravid 10x42 very much. It holds very well. The image quality was so close I honestly couldn't see a difference. Maybe under different conditions I would be able to see a difference. The two things that pushed me to the Zeiss, a little closer focus and there was enough focuser range that I can focus the Zeiss without my eye glasses on. Now that I have the Zeiss I'm very happy with it. The more I use it the more I like it. Yesterday, the Sun was close to setting and I could look just a little below the Sun and clearly see of leaves on the ground, about 40 yards away with virtually no "light spill" (flare?) from the Sun. Very nice.

The Leica 10x42 Ultravid and Zeiss 10x42 FL are two outstanding binoculars.

Rich

Last edited:
Leica and Zeiss both have search engines for authorized dealers on their websites. They'll give you a list of dealers within a certain radius of your location.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back