• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EP, specs elusive (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Anyone know details of my ep that came with the fs2 ED? Ep is stamped 24x/60 WF and 30x/78 WF. It also has a fixed rubber eyecup. Usually can find lots of info with searches but I’m struggling to find anything, though lots on the DS series.

I’m wondering about fov, coatings, brightness, and overall quality of it vs using the 20-45x zoom that I also have.

Anyone know details of my ep that came with the fs2 ED? Ep is stamped 24x/60 WF and 30x/78 WF. It also has a fixed rubber eyecup. Usually can find lots of info with searches but I’m struggling to find anything, though lots on the DS series.

I’m wondering about fov, coatings, brightness, and overall quality of it vs using the 20-45x zoom that I also have.

Try this...
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/scopes/

Not identified in that lineup from your link. Remains elusive.

The link does give the Fieldscopes and their eyepieces when scrolled down.
However, it only gives specs for the 24x/30x wide MC, with a footnote that this will fit the EDII as well.
I do not know whether the 24x WF and the 24x wide MC are different in construction or merely generational updates.

Hi,

unless you ask Nikon and find somebody with access to the records, it will be hard to find out exactly if it's the same optical construction as the MC with a rubber roll-down eyecup and probably older coatings. Somebody knowledgeable with access to both EPs could give an educated guess, though.

Regarding coatings - are your eyepieces multicoated?

Joachim

Hi,

unless you ask Nikon and find somebody with access to the records, it will be hard to find out exactly if it's the same optical construction as the MC with a rubber roll-down eyecup and probably older coatings. Somebody knowledgeable with access to both EPs could give an educated guess, though.

Regarding coatings - are your eyepieces multicoated?

Joachim

Yeah, hard to find any reliable info on my fixed ep. don’t know regarding coatings. I will say, I compared it to a friends higher end scope and it compared favorably in brightness and clarity but I need to spend more time behind both to know conclusively

The optical specs for the 24x WF and MC are the same. Those eyepieces have the same optical formula, the main physical differences being in the housing to hold the twist-up eyecup of the MC.

The MC eyepieces are supposed to all be fully multicoated. The WF eye pieces, when very old, may be single coated but I think mine and others I've seen have been a mix of single and multicoated elements. Nikon updated the coatings of Fieldscope eyepieces in the course of production without announcing the changes. That said, I've not been able to discern a practical difference between any of the fully multicoated MC eyepieces and their older WF counterparts. For example, I happily interchange an old 27/40/50x WF and a much newer 27/40/50x DS without seeing any difference in optical performance (and in fact, I prefer the WF because it is much smaller, making it a particularly nice match to the Fieldscope 50ED).

Transmission through any 24/30x WF or 24/30x MC eyepiece, as well as through the non-wide 20/25x (of which later production, I think, was fully multicoated) will be excellent because these designs have relatively few optical elements compared to any of the other Nikon WF, MC, DS, or zoom eyepieces (all of which have a built-in barlow). Compared to the 16/24/30x DS, which is a unique new design, the 24/30x WF is physically _much_ smaller and lighter, has slightly less eye-relief, has the same FOV, and has a very slightly curved field. I find that the 24x WF and MC design retains its optical performance better than the DS when the eye is not perfectly aligned with the center axis (in other words, the WF/MC design is more forgiving of eye placement), so I prefer the WF for rough and tumble birding.

--AP

Hi,

thanks for the insight, Alexis - that's what I meant with somebody knowledgeable and with access to both versions!

And tealboy, enjoy your scope...

Joachim

The optical specs for the 24x WF and MC are the same. Those eyepieces have the same optical formula, the main physical differences being in the housing to hold the twist-up eyecup of the MC.

The MC eyepieces are supposed to all be fully multicoated. The WF eye pieces, when very old, may be single coated but I think mine and others I've seen have been a mix of single and multicoated elements. Nikon updated the coatings of Fieldscope eyepieces in the course of production without announcing the changes. That said, I've not been able to discern a practical difference between any of the fully multicoated MC eyepieces and their older WF counterparts. For example, I happily interchange an old 27/40/50x WF and a much newer 27/40/50x DS without seeing any difference in optical performance (and in fact, I prefer the WF because it is much smaller, making it a particularly nice match to the Fieldscope 50ED).

Transmission through any 24/30x WF or 24/30x MC eyepiece, as well as through the non-wide 20/25x (of which later production, I think, was fully multicoated) will be excellent because these designs have relatively few optical elements compared to any of the other Nikon WF, MC, DS, or zoom eyepieces (all of which have a built-in barlow). Compared to the 16/24/30x DS, which is a unique new design, the 24/30x WF is physically _much_ smaller and lighter, has slightly less eye-relief, has the same FOV, and has a very slightly curved field. I find that the 24x WF and MC design retains its optical performance better than the DS when the eye is not perfectly aligned with the center axis (in other words, the WF/MC design is more forgiving of eye placement), so I prefer the WF for rough and tumble birding.

I've also got all three versions, and that's a perfect summary of the differences between these eyepieces. I also prefer the WF and the MC over the DS for precisely the reasons you gave, especially on the ED50, but also on the EDIIIA. The DS is just to big and unwieldy on these scopes. On the ED82 it's alright.

I do, however, feel there's a small but visible difference between the 24/30 WF and the 24/30 MC. I think in side-by-side comparisons the contrast of the MC is ever so slightly better, in all viewing conditions.

I still prefer the slightly smaller WF on the ED50 though.

Hermann

Always impressed with the incredible level of expertise from forum participants on this site. Appreciate the detailed feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back