• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Monterey, CA (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I just found out today that I'll probably be going to a conference at Asilomar on the Monterey Peninsula in California in mid-March. Are there any good sites about birding out there? I won't have much time, but I should be able to walk around in the mornings before the meetings start. Are there any common western birds I should have a good shot at seeing? I've never really birded west of central Missouri...

Elkhorn Slough and Moss Landing

There are some spots around the peninsula. This has been my best experience.This is about 10 minutes north on Route 1 . . direct highway . . Elkhorn Slough.

Good place for all kinds of sandpipers and egrets. I like the Pacific Turnstones. Curlews and Godwits and such at the right time of year . . not sure what to expect in March . . might be some migratories there . . .rent a kayak and go back in the Slough, Pelicans and even sea otters are seen here.

They have a thorough and up to date website: http://www.elkhornslough.org/index.html

Cheers (and report back!),

Kolya

useful websites

California bird digest - posts for listservs around Ca. MBB isMonterey Bird Box
http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

and
http://www.montereyaudubon.org/

have a great time
Summer

lassa8 said:
I just found out today that I'll probably be going to a conference at Asilomar on the Monterey Peninsula in California in mid-March. Are there any good sites about birding out there? I won't have much time, but I should be able to walk around in the mornings before the meetings start. Are there any common western birds I should have a good shot at seeing? I've never really birded west of central Missouri...

Point Pinos

Monterey has rocky coast as well as sandy beaches. March is an excellent time. If you have a car you can go further afield such as Elkhorn Slough (at Moss Landing). Anyway, Pt. Pinos State Reserve is just south of Carmel and has breeding Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants so easy to separate. Also breeding Western (Northern race) Gulls. If you go to Pacific Grove beaches and rocky coasts you should get up to nine common gulls, both turnstones, Whimbrel, Black Oystercatcher, etc. It's a good place to visit as well as bird. Have fun.

DonStarks said:
Monterey has rocky coast as well as sandy beaches. March is an excellent time. If you have a car you can go further afield such as Elkhorn Slough (at Moss Landing). Anyway, Pt. Pinos State Reserve is just south of Carmel and has breeding Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants so easy to separate. Also breeding Western (Northern race) Gulls. If you go to Pacific Grove beaches and rocky coasts you should get up to nine common gulls, both turnstones, Whimbrel, Black Oystercatcher, etc. It's a good place to visit as well as bird. Have fun.

I think you mean Point Lobos State Reserve, south of Carmel. Point Lobos is good for Pygmy Nuthatch as well. Point Pinos is in Pacific Grove and is excellent for Oystercatchers. I agree with the recommendations for Moss Landing as well. Watch for the sign to turn left and go through Moss Landing proper (before you reach the power plant) and work your way north through the tiny town to the inlet of Moss Landing harbor. The harbor is excellent for loons, grebes, sea otters, and I've seen Common Murre there too. The Elkhorn Slough reserve, a few miles inland from the power plant, has water birds and some typical land birds. The trails into state parks south of Carmel like Garrapata and Andrew Molera can be good for things like California Thrasher, Wrentit, and other land birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back