• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

orkney birding (1 Viewer)

First visit this year Hunda

Last night was the first outing of my summer birding class with Tim Dean. tonights destination was the island of Hunda this is located west of Burray and conected to it by a causeway that gives acess at all states of the tide. the island its self is half grazing half heather moor you can walk around the entire island but just the heathery half is for us tonight.
We meet up in the farm yard of of Littlequoy on whos ground this walk is over tonight There are ten of us tonight and its a mix of old faces and new all eager for the off so after intros all round we head out the farm yard the way we came in to spy out the rough ground between us and the shore. At the back of us sing Skylarks and Mippits with a Linnet hanging out some where there as well. South to the shore and St Margrets hope over the water. Lapwings display over a Common Gull colony that looks like its starting to establish. Graylag geese have growing goslings out in the open and around them are paired up Oystercatchers and Lapwings. On the small wet pools Mallard move about feeding. overhead a Bonixie passes and soon another. Greater Black Backs pass over as well. Looming figures of menace inviting aggressive atacks from the nesting throng.The distant sea throws up the first duck of the night a Great Northen Diver in summer plumage.and a few Eider beond. So with that its off through the farm to the track for Hunda. Please if your visiting park sensiblly and look out as its a working farm. Dont take your dogs to the island as theres loads of lambs at the moment not to mention a million ground nesting birds and do visit the shop.while your here.
Down the track theres a year round wet hole that gives us Rinnged Plover Redshank and Piedwagtail. Beond this over the field a Shorteared Owl quarters the ground then the fence lines pouncing twice before attracting to mutch attention and moving off harrased .This one a paler male will be seen more now during the day light hours as thay have hungry young to feed. the shore side has a raft of long tailed ducks in the distance some eider dotted here and there.
A few Red Breasted Mergansers mostly females. More Skuas pass over head these are heading for Hoy probaly to roost at the colony. the foreshore is a little bereft of birds two Ringed Plover dont stay long following the Redshanks pinging calls. A few Turnstones in the weed and a trilling Dunlin is out there some where. Off the shore of Hunda a low slung diver turns out to be a Red Throat.
We head over the causeway to the island getting better views of the rocky shore. With the sun behind us now helping locating the dunlin in there summer finery. As we are looking up Hunda sound behind us are the approaching sounds of Artic Terns fantastic stuff these birds might have been in South Africa or even Australia and have found there way back here to breed. Last year there was a good wee Tern colony on Hunda but its early to tell if thay will return to this exact spot. Thay will nest in the locality but can be fickle. Still its good to see them in numbers to night. looking south toward the Cairn Head numorus seals are strewen across the rocks and as we scan them over a Whimbrel is heard calling there is a pair of some thing on a patch of sand but it is tantlisingly to far away to tell if its a Curlew or Wimbrill Oh well onward
Turning left ofF the causeway we move along the shore line toward the fish farm. The heather moor at our back is dominated by the Black Backed Gulls that sit on the highest points of the low lying ground. thay will nest here in a small group, two Skuas sit together in the heather two pairs usualy nest over here. The shore of Hunda Sound now produced a bizare spectical with twenty four eider males vieing for the attention of one unattached female. This female may just have lost a clutch of eggs or mayby late coming in to her fertile cycle .but as comic as it looks it can be a serious situation for the lassie as the poor girl can get exausted and drowned fending off unwranted suitors. Out in the bay the raft of long tails is 100 to 150 strong and there must be fifty plus mostly immature eiders we are finding them sat on nests as we carefully move along the shore. About this point we see the best bird of the night a Black Throated Diver in full summer plumage. this stunner is a good way off but looks good in the scopes .BTD winter here ocsionaly one has been reported at Rerwick. but are not often seen in summer garb the nearest ones to us are south in Northren Scotland thay require larger lochs for breeding than we have here to acomadate there long takeoff style. Tim is delighted as its his first summer bird ever in orkney [ its a rare one] moving around the point of East Ayre we head slightly uphill towards a wet pond .that proves to be empty. Graylag take off in to the distance complaining while more still sit in the heather eyeing us suspiciously. They have more to loose if thay fly so we try not to provoke them we pass. Sunnless Geo to turn and head back along the fence line to take us to the shore and back to the causeway. stopping to rescan the sea before the causeway fifteen Megansers are now counted in diffrent groups we get over the causeway in the failling light to be greeted on the far shore by trilling Dunlin right in front of us giving great views. A nice end for my first summer class and first time back on Hunda.
next tusday its Corncrakes!

Sounds like an amazing evening Dafi! I wish I had more experience (read any)with the beautiful birds you describe. Photos will have to do for now!
Great report, Thanks!

Kristina

Thanks for that one Dafi - what a great evening you had.

Dunlins are brilliant in breeding mode aren't they.

I REALLY MUST get to Orkney

D

Dafi, as always that was a brilliant account of all you saw and it took me there to 'see' it all with you! Thanks for the great descriptions Dafi, I could almost see the BTD, such fantastic Birds that we always seem to find each year, RTD's too. Both usually found in the vicinity of Scourie as well as some near Ruthven.

I'm really looking forward to the Corncrakes next time! Thanks so much for that Dafi.

Sue.

Cottasgarth and Hobbister

Spinning about to day my first visit was to the RSPB Reserve at Cotasgarth. On its day Cotasgarth can be a realy rewarding place to visit with the full array of moorland spiecies. not to mention Henharrier. merlin and s/e owl. However it can be hit or miss and today was a bit of a miss.
On the way in to the hide from the farm i saw
Hooded crow
5 Swallows
3 Lapwing
3 Curlew
M Wheatear
Pied Wagtail
mipits
4 Graylag[thay seem to be strong everywhere]
At the hide a long watch saw no raptors come into view it was so quiet a pair of mippits displaying a bit of pre quoital affection was the high point.So a bit bored i swept up and left. It was on the way out i spotted a female harrier soaring and rising ,i watched till she dissapeared then ploded back to the bike. A final scan with the bins produced a male coming over the top of the hill and start to quater Oh well another time.

RSPB HOBISTER.
I approached Hobister via Finstown and the road past kirbister loch where i saw two flocks of graylag with goslings one 110 strong the other 80to a 100strong the only ducks were a few tufted and mallard with two RTD by the crannog if indeed it is a crannog.
My idea with Hobister was to photograph Stonechats and although there were stonechats about thay seemed to have no intention to sing out of cover. Hobister is a moorland reserve that covers a huge area the bit from the parking to the shore has a circular walk the first part taking you past great areas of willow scrub loved by the stonechats and is the place to see them [but not to day],I did hear Red Grouse calling, Several Wrens moved about and a reed bunting showed for about ten seconds along with some singing black birds but little else was to be seen. Beyond the scrub the path leads down across the heather to the cliffs above Scapa Flow for a cliff top walk that swings up the hill and back to return you to the the road in. I content myself with a sit on the clif top for a spy out over the water. The wind has been dropping all day and now is about flat calm, Ideal for seeing what little is about
Two Fulmars sitting[ only a few sitting on the cliffs here]
8 Shags out on the point left of me
several Rock Pippit
2 twite
18 Black Guillimot
1 RTD
6 Eider
The icing on the cake comes as i see Black Guillimots taking off in all directions a closer look reveals two fins cutting the water and diving this is thrilling. I must say im not mutch cop at telling all the diffrent spiecies appart but from the size of the fins whitch were quite small i think these were Porpoise.
The two of them swam in circles diving as thay go some times together some times apart i supose that are feeding on sillocks or cathes thay stay for a while though and gradualy move off in to the distance. My first this year verry nice.
That was about it for the day quite quiet where i was i did see Sanwitch Terns on the shore below Renebister but not mutch else.

Not too bad for a slow day Dafi! As for those porpoise, I'll leave you to guess my level of jealousy...sounds like quite a nice day out to me!

Kristina

Another good list Daf, even better with the Porpoise! I do love the way you tell your reports, you have a good way with describing it all Daf. Thanks so much for another great visit. I love Fulmars and Guillemots (or Tysties) are real beauties.

Thanks again Dafi and I'm very much looking forward to the next time.

Sue.

Glad to hear it! I was beginning to think all the birds had left Orkney...;)
Yea sorry about that but i had a dose of photosensitive burns and havent been outside much this last week but im back out and about now so this ones for you Kristina.

Return To Cottasgarth.

Tonight’s outing on the patch was a class night visit to Cottasgarth RSPB and the Eddie Balfour hide then a trek along the heather path to Queenamidda and out the moorland track to the road to return to the Rendall hall.
We meet up at the Rendall community centre car park. Tonight there are eight of us and its nice to be out in a group again. Looking toward the hills we can see the Dale of Cottasgarth and to the right the heathery expanse leading to the narrow plantations of trees at Queenamidda and beyond. The mile or so of flat land between us and the hill is composed of wet ground Moor, heather and willow scrub. It streches away for miles on either side. The ground is the Rendall moss. Its a habitat par exelance in fact it don’t get much better than this. Out there is the greatest density of breeding Curlew in Western Europe its also protected as its one of the best sights for breeding short eared owl and Merlin. Its also recognised for its breeding red throated divers. This area is a strong hold of the Hen Harrier and spiritual home of all Hen Harrier study it being the stomping grounds of the late great Eddie Balfour.
The weather has been blowing F6 and showers all day but is starting to ease and apart from a few threatening clouds and spitting showers its not to bad. We travel up to Cottasgarth farm with half the cars and set out from there. The walk up to the hide produces Curlew, Lapwing. Graylag, Hoodies and a few Meadow Pipits Sky Lark singing. Moving to the top of the track we crest the rise and before us lies the Dale of Cottasgarth; the flat hillside valley has grazing ground punctuated with rush grass that changes to bog and heather as the land rises. The centre of the ground is dominated by a derelict farm steading and beyond it the hide. Moving past the steading the air is full of the cheeping calls of young starlings and nervous parents returning stop to watch us with beaks full of worms and caterpillars. Nervous ewes with young lambs scatter away from us as we stop to scan the hill sides. The idea is to find our target species of the night [Hen harrier Merlin Short eared Owl] this produces nothing and we move the short distance to the hide.
Almost the instant we arrive Tims eagle eye spots action and within seconds we are watching a male Hen Harrier sky dancing above a female . they are way off up the hill but easily seen through bins. He rises and falls a few times then quarters the hill side a few times before returning to the female. To my amazement he drops down beside her promptly jumps on her back and has his wicked way. We are delighted with this and as the male tales off to land near by Tim explains to us how this is probably the second mating of this bird as it already has a female sitting on eggs. In Orkney it is common for harriers to be polygamous as there are such a large amount of females to males. Its quite a life unless you’re a late brood chick of course. Looking at each bird that crosses the hill side soon produces a Bonxie[great Skua]]and then two Artic Skuas these are my first or the year and favourites of mine one is a dark phase and one a handsome light phase. An elegant sleek aggressor. when they skim low they provoke a robust response from the nesting birds which they just shrug off and get on with there job. Soon some of them will breed in isolated pairs making them some of Brittan’s rarest breeding sea birds. The excitement of these has barely passed when a hooded crow flying just below the ridge line puts up a Merlin with lightning speed it harries the hoodies swooping down with lightning attacks shooting back up to bank and dive again the crow thinks better of it and moves off . The Merlin soars around to land near its nest[this was news to me I had been here last Sunday and hadn’t sused this at all] He settles on a tussock of grass in the heather. The male bird is just viewable in the scopes preening but it’s the sort of distance that makes my eyes water after a while. Back down the hill Graylag land on the far side of the valley . Over that side a young ringtail passes right to left and the male is up over the female again. Once again while im watching they mate again so it looks like another brood on the way here.
With this we start to move off but instead of heading back down the track we follow the burn of Dale and then along the hillside through the heather path. This gives fabulous views over the moors below. Close to us are big stands of scrubby willow from whitch come the song of Wren, Blackbird and Willow Warbler all the song is quite discernable in the lessening wind. Looking over the expanse of moor below us and the heather hillside above us you get a real sense of being a part of the hill swallowed up in its great scale of things. The first raptor spotted is a S/E Owl followed by another then a young ring tailed harrier. Dissapering into the distance. During the day its been windy and wet Tim had a class out during the day and they had a pretty lean time of it seeing almost no raptors at all but now the weather is improving and the birds need to feed before dark. Moving along we visit the graves of the Harray men. Hundreds of years ago seven men from the landlocked parish of Harray while returning from collecting [shore meat] shellfish ect they perished in a snow storm on there return journey when found they were buried where they fell and ir you search you can still find the grave marker stones [ you wont find this on any map] the path up produced some nice flowers though this years first Milkwort, Lousewort, and Birdsfoot Trefoil are out. All about are ladies smock Eyebright and Tormintill with white cotton heads bobing in the heather. Spying from here produces another two Bonxies and the usual reception committies plus another S/E Owl.
We move through the trees to the road at Queenamidda we put up a noisy pheasant that takes everybody’s breath away. The trees are quiet as we move through them to the track out . it’s a bit disappointing to see so little as Queenamidda features quite prominently in sightings reports and the county bird report. But its my first visit and it’s an impressive looking wee plantation that’s been set out over the last twenty years, to produce this gem of protection for small birds. It’s a veritable magnet of attraction in this treeless landscape. Down the track toward the main road we cross the moor putting us in the middle of the whole place where we see yet another S/E Owl slowly quartering the ground. When we are nearly out we pass a colony of Common gulls nesting on the commons. Tim explained that Common gulls were called Common gulls because that nested on commons and not because they are particularly common. Some thing new learned for me there. So that was about it we exit the moor at the main road and watch Swallows hawking around some pine trees before heading to the hall car park and the big run around and home. All in all its been great three Merlin half a dozen harriers and more Short Eared Owls than you could poke a stick at. The only missing regular were Stonechats who weren’t seen all night. Shame but never mind its been a big difference to my last visit short ago. And a walk I will do again soon in the hope of seeing Willow Warblers.[and more of the same]

Thank you so very, very much Dafi!
That was well worth waiting for! I'm a bit at a loss for words though, what a stunning night out!

(Glad to hear that you're on the mend and back in pursuit of our feathered friends!)

Kristina

Hi Daf

Another great report of a very interesting walk and the Birdwatching done during it. My highlights being the Short-eared Owls as well as the Merlin, Harriers, Great Skuas and especially the Arctics! I'd really love to see them someday.

Thanks Daf, I really enjoyed that.

Sue.

Cheers Guys

Just seen 2 Glaucous Gulls feeding in with Herring Gulls below Weyland Farm Kirkwall 12.12.

Whats On Around The Patch June

I thought I might do a wee forthcoming events programme once a month or so for every one out there on the patch. Mostly its bird or wild life based and this is by no means a comprehensive list of events. There’s stacks going on all over the patch but if you want to get out and about or you’re a visitor and want to go island hopping I hope it helps a wee bit

June 07

SUN 3
Cuween and Wideford.
There will be a ranger at each of these tombs to give a short introduction to these sights,suitable for all ages.
Time 2.30-4.30……meet at the tombs
INFO/BOOKINGS..WHS Ranger service..841732

SUN
A VISIT TO EDAY ORKNEY FIELD CLUB
In conjunction with the Eday ranger ,doing a walk from Vinquoy to Red Head looking at wild flowers of coastal heath, sea birds and raptors. Spectacular scenery!!
INFO/ BOOKINGS…..Eday ranger ..07908148004

SUN 3
SANDAY,
WHITEMILL WANDER. SANDY RANGER
Coastal birds and flowers
Time 2pm….Meet Whitemill car park.
INFO/BOOKINGS SANDAY RANGER Rod Thorne 01857600341

THURS 7
MARWICK SEABIRD CITY RSPB
Come see hear smell this seabird city with RSPB field teacher at the magnificent Marwick head reserve
COST Members free non members £2 children under 16 £1 infants free
TIME 10 am………MEET Marwick carpark
INFO/BOOKINGS Aileen Hall 850176

SUN 10
TO THE LIGHTHOUSE,SANDY
Cross to Start island and go up the tower with the light keeper. Wellies essential
TIME 11.30am…..MEET School
INFO/BOOKINGS SANDAY RANGER

SUN 10
FAMILIES MOORLAND SAFARI ORKNEY FIELD CLUB/RSPB
Explore the moorland around the Stromness water works-search for wild flowers, hunt the Juniper and spot the bird life. Suitable for all. Children must be accompanied by an adult
TIME 2-5pm……MEET Stromness OLD academy car park.
INFO BOOKINGS Alison Skene 850406

THURS 10
HOBBISTER COASTAL WALK RSPB
Join an RSPB warden on a walk around the coastal trail and across the moorland see Stonechats Fulmars maybe even Short eared Owls and Hen Harriers. Gain an understanding of the habitat.
TIME9.30am……..MEET Hobbister car park Hobbister RSPB.
COST Members free non members £2 children£1 infants free
INFO/BOOKINGS Derren Fox 850176

THURS 14
SANDAY,TRESNESS TRECK.
See the remains of Wasso broch, kelp pits,a horse-engine shed and plenty of birds.
TIME 2pm……..MEET Brickie hut
INFO/BOOKINGS SANDAY RANGER.

FRI 15
EDAY
WILD THINGS PHOTOGRAPHY AND SCETCHING WALK.
An afternoon on Eday enjoying the natural world from an artistic perspective. Drawing materials are provided but you can come and just take photos if you wish. Beginners welcome. Bring a camera
TIME 12pm….DURATION 3-4Hours……MEET MILL LOCH BIRD HIDE.
INFO/BOOKINGS…Anne 07908148004

SAT 16
RANGER ISLAND TRIP WORLD HERITAGE SITE RANGER SERVICE
A visit to one of seventy diverse islands.
This venue is yet to be decided but it will be happening.
INFO/BOOKINGS WHS Ranger service 841732

THURS 21
BIRDS AND BIODIVERSITY AT BRODGAR RSPB
Join the RSPB warden on a relaxing and informative walk around the ring of Brodgar trail and along the loch of Stenness shore to see the birds and other wild life of this unique site.
TIME10.30…..MEET Ring of Brodgar car park
COST members free non members £2 children £1 infants free
INFO/BOOKINGS Derren Fox 850176

THURS 21
SANDAY
BURNESS PREAMBULATION
A ramble along side the coast, loch and farm land of the parish
TIME 11.30am……..MEET Orkney Angora
INFO/BOOKINGS SANDY RANGER..Rod Thorn..01857 600341

SAT 23
EDAY
THE EDAY RIDER
All day ride and hike around Eday. A route of twenty five miles that covers the island from the rocky beaches of Greentoft bay in the south to the stunning Red Head in the north. Guided walks on route that incorporate the islands key archaeological sites and important wild life spots. Booking essential
INFO/BOOKINGS Anne 87908148004

SAT 23
SANDAY
BIRD RACE
Everyone welcome
TIME Dawn till 9.00pm…..FINISH Nearhouse
INFO/BOOKINGS Rod Thorne Sanday ranger

Sun 24
FLORA AND FAUNA OF HARRAY ORKNEY FIELD CLUB
Taking a closer look at the plants insects and birds to be found around Winksetter and Bosquoy loch. Wellies advised.
MEET Harray hall car park……..TIME 10am
INFO/BOOKINGS Dick Matson

TUES 26
HOY
WILD LIFE DETECTIVES RSPB
An adventurous day out for families [not suitable for under 8s] and the young at heart! Join the warden for a 7-mile walk to explore how hoys natural environment has changed over the last 400 million years. A good level of fitness, a sense of humour[!], waterproofs and stout boots are essential.
TIME 10.30am……..MEET Moaness pier DURATION 6.5 hours.
COST free but donations would be appreciated
Booking essential. Warden Lea Shields…791298

THURS 28
MARWICK SEABIRD CITY
As thurs 7

In addition to these

EDAY RANGER
Every wed from may 9th to sep 26th the ranger will be guiding walks along the Eday heritage trail.

Every Thursday the ranger will be leading walks as part of a project to map the islands habitat types.

The ranger will be guiding walks on request every Friday afternoon when other events don’t coincide.
INFO Eday Ranger Anne 07908148004

HOY NATURE TRAILS RSPB
GUIDED WALKS WITH THE WARDEN
TIME 10.30am TUESDAYS DURATION 2-3Hours
MAY 8,15,22
JUNE 5,12,19
JULY 3,10,19,31
AUG 7,14,21
MEET Moaness pier COSTS Free donations appreciated
INFO BOOKINGS Warden Lee Shields 791298

SANDAY RANGER
Every wed and fri 12.00-12.30 welcomes visitors at the waiting room at Loth ferry terminal car park. Call in for advice, guidance ,leaflets ect.
Sanday Ranger Rod Thorne 01867600341

WORLD HERITAGE SITE RANGERS
Join the rangers and explore the area around one of Orkneys stone circles the Ring of Brodgar. Daily walks June,July,Aug.
Weekly guided walks every Thursday 1pm April, May and September.
TIME 1pm…….MEET Ring of Brodgar car park..
INFO/BOOKINGS WHSRS 01856841732

PAPA WESTRAY RSPB
Guided walks with the warden in a land that time forgot.
Every Tus, Thurs, and Sat May till Aug
Booking is essential.
TIME 1.30-3-30…….MEET Rose Cottage
Papay warden 01857 644240

PIEDIE PACKAGE TOUR
PAPAY
Tues, Thurs, Sat every month May till Aug
Inclusive trip.
Ferry from Kirkwall
Mini bus tour of archaeological sights in the morning.
Lunch at the hostel
RSPB guided walk around the reserve to see all the local wild life.
Afternoon tea before the ferry back to Kirkwall
COSTS/INFO/BOOKINGS Papay CO-OP 01857644321

Hi Dafi,

That is wonderful of you to go to such lengths to inform folk before they go as well as informing the locals. Brilliant and many thanks!

So Glaucous Gulls to aim to see also then, this gets more tempting as each week goes by.

Much appreciated all of it. Orkney's tourism will have a great deal to thank you for!!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back