• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss and the US Market (1 Viewer)

Curtis Croulet said:
Bill Atwood: Enthusiasts of whatever interest always fret when there's a corporate change concerning their favorite products. In the case of Leitz/Leica, it appears to me that Leica's fabled cameras and lenses are still available, and the binoculars and scopes seem to be upholding the tradition. I've heard some grumbles about QA problems with the cameras, but I don't know if that's a recent problem or just bad luck.

chartwell99: Has the "rubber tire" smell decreased at all while you've owned the bins? My FL had a rubbery smell fresh out of the box, but it's not noticeable now unless you put your nose right on the bins.
I can respond to that one comment. Yes, the "rubber tire" smell does go away after a while. I don't even smell it anymore when the binos are right under my nose.
marcus

"With regard to Zeiss, I recently had to return two ClassiC 10x40s in a row to Cabella's because of misalignment right out of the box. Thinking quality control of high-end binocs might be limited to Zeiss, I then had to return an Ultravid 10x42BL to one dealer because of bad eyecups, and a Red 8x32BN to another because of very bad misalignment. It's hard to believe that roof prisms are making it to the street misaligned, but there it is. The only solid performer that I've found is Swarovski. They always satisfy, and customer service is superb."

Sounds like you either have terrible luck or you're extremely picky. I've owned several Leica, Zeiss, Pentax and Nikon Venturer/LX's, and have only ever had to return one for any type of problem. That one being the last pair of Nikon's, which were repaired under warranty and returned in about two weeks.

This is an interesting thread. The thing I find most interesting is that no local dealers carry the Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's, but I see more of them in the field than anything else (top end stuff, not the local ----Mart $19.99 special). I imagine it has something to do with Zeiss' reputation and the fact Cabelas sells them for $699.99.

Curtis Croulet said:
Bill Atwood: Enthusiasts of whatever interest always fret when there's a corporate change concerning their favorite products. In the case of Leitz/Leica, it appears to me that Leica's fabled cameras and lenses are still available, and the binoculars and scopes seem to be upholding the tradition. I've heard some grumbles about QA problems with the cameras, but I don't know if that's a recent problem or just bad luck.

chartwell99: Has the "rubber tire" smell decreased at all while you've owned the bins? My FL had a rubbery smell fresh out of the box, but it's not noticeable now unless you put your nose right on the bins.

The rubber armor did, remarkably, smell like new tires when new (unlike the wonderful - but no one but me seems to like - hard rubber of the 8 x 32/7x42/10/40 etc Classics) but it disappears after 2 - 3 months (I know - a long time - but worth it).

Astro-Physics! Now theres a Telescope maker.
I here there is a 5 year waiting list for some of their models!
It would be worth the wait.
Steve.

Steve Napier said:
Astro-Physics! Now theres a Telescope maker.
I here there is a 5 year waiting list for some of their models!
It would be worth the wait.
Steve.

Astro-Physics is moving into a new facility. They say they will be able to increase their output. It would be good to see the waiting period reduced. I know they won't let the quality of their products slip.

AP mentions their new facility on their website.
http://www.astro-physics.com/

Used APs come up now and then on Ebay and other sites.

Rich

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
Maybe Leica-Leitz was just a name change, but I do seem to recall there was some consternation about it among some photographers. To me that implied more than just a name change.

And I know birding has been around awhile, but I think there's little doubt it has become much more popular in the US within the last few years. I hear this from folks who have birded since the 60's. I've also seen a substantial increase in advertising for optics, lodging, tour outfits, clothing etc. And isn't there a much larger number of bin models aimed at birders these days?

Sometimes I wish it was less popular.

My characterization of the Victory as a disaster (in the US anyway) is based on the number I have seen around the necks of birders. I'm not sure I have even seen one. I think their switch of the strap attachment lugs and possible baffling alteration is an indication they weren't doing well at all. I'm sure there are some out there, but unless there is a Victory cult or 2 elsewhere in the US, I stand by my term of "disaster".

There still seems to be a lot of confusion out there regarding the Zeiss Victory bins. Here is my attempt (2nd) to clear it up: Zeiss brought out their first Victory model but it did not receive good reviews. Main complaints were the smell of the armouring, less than perfect resolution, and the placement of the strap lugs. In response to these complaints, Zeiss then reworked the bin and brought out the Victory II which then received rave reviews from Alula (the best, in my opinion, set of reviews) and Better View Desired. I own a pair of 10x42 Victory IIs and firmly believe that they are optically ahead of swaros or Leicas. Also, despite sticking my nose against my car tires and then the bins, I have failed to detect any car tire smell. The strap lugs have also been relocated.

I think that what happened here was that the Victory IIs still suffer from the bad reviews that the original bins received, This is a pity since I consider them by far the best on the market (though I have not seen the FLs yet).

hg1 said:
There still seems to be a lot of confusion out there regarding the Zeiss Victory bins. Here is my attempt (2nd) to clear it up: Zeiss brought out their first Victory model but it did not receive good reviews. Main complaints were the smell of the armouring, less than perfect resolution, and the placement of the strap lugs. In response to these complaints, Zeiss then reworked the bin and brought out the Victory II which then received rave reviews from Alula (the best, in my opinion, set of reviews) and Better View Desired. I own a pair of 10x42 Victory IIs and firmly believe that they are optically ahead of swaros or Leicas. Also, despite sticking my nose against my car tires and then the bins, I have failed to detect any car tire smell. The strap lugs have also been relocated.

I think that what happened here was that the Victory IIs still suffer from the bad reviews that the original bins received, This is a pity since I consider them by far the best on the market (though I have not seen the FLs yet).

The only confusion remaining is that you mean 10x40 Victory 11s, not 10x42.

Other than that, I agree with your opinion of their optical merits.

Buster said:
Sounds like you either have terrible luck or you're extremely picky. I've owned several Leica, Zeiss, Pentax and Nikon Venturer/LX's, and have only ever had to return one for any type of problem. That one being the last pair of Nikon's, which were repaired under warranty and returned in about two weeks.

This is an interesting thread. The thing I find most interesting is that no local dealers carry the Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's, but I see more of them in the field than anything else (top end stuff, not the local ----Mart $19.99 special). I imagine it has something to do with Zeiss' reputation and the fact Cabelas sells them for $699.99.

Buster,

Actually, I didn't mean to depricate Zeiss, since I love point 'n shoot cameras with Zeiss T lenses. They make quality stuff.

Although I have three Swaro SLC binocs, my first pick was Cabela's ClassiC 10x40 for a hi-power. (The Swaro 10x42 was really preferred, but a price difference of $400 wasn't justified — I thought.) I had used a 10x40 back in the mid-90s, but not the P* model. Anyway, the optics were very much to my satisfaction, but I was astounded that two pair in a row gave me splitting headaches within a few minutes. I'm talking about all-night nail drivers. Cabela's was great, but I couldn't go through that a third time. I got green just thinking Zeiss 10x40s.

Maybe it was my bad luck, maybe not. Cabela's has now questioned the entire shipment. The important point is that poor quality control can ruin the reputation of any high-end product very easily. I can't help thinking, also, that this same model sold for $995 in 1995. Can an improved model really be marketed today for $699 without cutting corners?

elkcub

Grousemore said:
The only confusion remaining is that you mean 10x40 Victory 11s, not 10x42.

Other than that, I agree with your opinion of their optical merits.

In my experience In Focus and Ace Cameras advise customers against the Zeiss Victory 8x40.

Here in the UK there is AFAIK no distinction made between the I and the II. What's more a Zeiss engineer visited In Focus to update the old strap lugs to new ones so inspection of the lugs does not say anything about the optics i.e. old or new.

The 8x40 Victory was innovative but never took off.

hg1 said:
the Victory II which then received rave reviews from Alula (the best, in my opinion, set of reviews)

which rave reviews were those HG1? The last review of 10x40 Victories was hardly rave. For info that is on the website.

Rave vs good

pduxon said:
which rave reviews were those HG1? The last review of 10x40 Victories was hardly rave. For info that is on the website.

Maybe I was a little flippant in my use of the term "rave". However, Alula reviewed the Victory IIs in Jan, 2004 and the review by-and-large was very positive (they reviewed the Victory Is about 3 years ago and the review was not so good). Anyway, in the latest review which compares the Zeiss with Leicas, Swaro, and the rest of the pack, the Zeiss Victory IIs scored about the highest numerical score and exceeded their competitors in a number of categories. This review has just been published on the web at Alula's site.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back