• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with Sony RX10iv (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Help!

I've been using my camera for a month now. I alsways used aperture priority. Just a couple of days ago, instead of what I'd expect to see when i turn on the camera I get two horizonal bars: CH1and CH2 and it says STBY in green letters. If I flick the mode dial around and then back to A I get back to a more normal looking view for photo but it is not aperture priority but seems to be some automatic mode and the aperture dial does not work.

When I have the Mode dial guide on I can see that A, S and M modes are not available. When I tried to turn to them they do not come up in the guide.

I have tried a reset and this did not work.

I am totally confused and frustrated. Any help very much appreciated!

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
As it appears to think that it is in movie mode, which doesn't have to be selected on the dial, but instantly available on the movie button, have you pressed the movie button several times to see what happens?

Doing a search on the online manual the only time STBY is mentioned is in Video Light Mode -

The horizontal lines are normal on anything recording stereo sound and appear in the list of icons, Standby simply means that it is waiting for you to press the button to record. However since you have reset it, this seems unreasonable behaviour. Hence the thought that you may have some sort of fault with the video button or the dial.

Once in a blue moon changing the SD card and reformatting it has been helpful on cameras I have owned that appeared to be having some sort of nervous breakdown, but I admit I am clutching at straws and it sounds like a genuine fault.

The fact that A, S and M modes not being available does point to it somehow being in Video mode whether from the dial or the overriding video button.

It doesn't sound as if it is anything that you have done unfortunately, so it may well turn out to be a warranty issue.

I only run Sony audio and video equipment so I can't play to see if I can force the error on anything that I own regrettably.

Not a lot of help - sorry.

I picked it up today and everything seems okay. Whcih may be good news or an intermittent fault that will always be fine when with an engineer!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back