• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

701RC2 and Zeiss plate (1 Viewer)

Stuart R

Hi

I recently bought the 701RC2 head for use on my new Manfrotto tripod. I also bought the anti rotation plate for the Zeiss scope but I'm kind of confused as to how it fits in the QR section of the head. If fitted to the scope as directed (i.e. with the numbers at the front), the only way that it appears to fit is at right angles?? Or have I done something wrong?
Also, is the locking lever on the head able to close completly?. With the QR plate supplied it looks like a friction fit only and still sticks out a bit - Doesn't look very secure. Is it strong enough to be able to have the scope and tripod connected when moving from one viewing spot to another??

Many thanks

Stuart R

701 Head and Zeiss scope

Hi

Found the answer to my own question on another thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33411) but still interested to hear other peoples comments.
By the way, I can't get the locking screw out of the QR Plate no matter how hard i hold and turn it. Needless to say the QR plate does not fit on the scope without the pin coming out!!!! Very frustrating!!!

Stuart R

Stuart R said:
Hi

Found the answer to my own question on another thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33411) but still interested to hear other peoples comments.
By the way, I can't get the locking screw out of the QR Plate no matter how hard i hold and turn it. Needless to say the QR plate does not fit on the scope without the pin coming out!!!! Very frustrating!!!

Stuart R
If you are talking about the small black plastic VHS pin, Manfrotto have apparently changed the design but not the instructions. With the new pin design although there is a slot where you imagine that you would need a screwdriver to unscrew, you actually just need to pinch the two parts together and push the pin out from the underneath of the plate upwards.

Hope that makes sense, it took me a while to work it out.

Marco B :)

Many thanks for the information Marco. I took the plate into Charles Frank's in Edininburgh this lunchtime and after trying to unsuccessfully "unscrew" the pin, the chap in the shop exchanged it for a new plate & pin which now allows the scope to be mounted - bid cheer for Charles Frank's Edinburgh!!
The useless 200CZ1 plate is on its way back to Warehouse Express hopefully for a refund and a suggestion that hey put on their Web page that this QR Plate does not fit on the 701RC2
Thanks again

cheers

Stuart R

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back