• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A better way to set up tripod with legs not fully extended (1 Viewer)

A previous thread discussed the various ways people have used to set up a tripod to reach a correct height for the observer using a spotting scope.The consensus was that it is more stable to keep the center post down, and perhaps have the bottom tripod leg sections only partially extended if this is necessary to achieve proper observing height.

I found this to be necessary when I recently purchased a new Kowa 883, which has an angled eyepiece. At the same time I purchased a Bogen (Manfrotto) 055XB tripod. I think the previous models were called "3021". I only needed about two thirds of the bottom leg sections extended to create the height I needed. I am just under 6 feet tall.

At first I tried marking the spot on each lower leg section, so that in extending the legs, I would stop there and clamp. This is not a really good cure for the problem, in that it makes the set up and take down more time consuming.

I came up with a better solution. Unscrew the bottom clamp section of the tripod (this will probably work for tripods other than Bogen/Manfrotto also) to release the lower leg section. You will notice that in the Manfrotto there is a larger diameter tube section which is the "stop" for the top of the leg. go down below this point to your desired length, and wrap the tube section with duct tape. The tape needs to be wrapped thick enough to act as a "stop". Re-attach the leg section to ensure that the tape-stop acts as needed. Then do the same for the other two legs.

After completing this job (about a half hour or less) you will be able to simply open all the clamps to drop the legs, tighten the clamps, and your tripod height will be perfect for you.

The only problem with this is if you have to share the scope with a much taller person. In which case, you simply raise the center post as needed.

This system is far simpler and much less time consuming than trying to extend tripod legs to a mark and tighten them there. For me, opening the tripod usually means holding the tripod head/scope with one hand, while releasing and clamping all the leg sections with the other hand, while I am standing up outside my car. Using the "tape-stop" method, I can do this very quickly and get right on the bird with no wasted time.

John Wright

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back