• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 and Kowa 20-60 Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

portnoy58

Hi an opportunity to buy a Nikon P5100 has presented itself to me and I think I have read that this camera comes highly recommended for digiscoping. I would be using it with my Kowa 883 and 20-60 eyepiece. Can anyone confirm if this is so and what accessories I would need for joining camera to eyepiece? Many thanks

Hi an opportunity to buy a Nikon P5100 has presented itself to me and I think I have read that this camera comes highly recommended for digiscoping. I would be using it with my Kowa 883 and 20-60 eyepiece. Can anyone confirm if this is so and what accessories I would need for joining camera to eyepiece? Many thanks
My sincere apologies.......I have just realised there is a very considerable thread on this camera! It would appear to answer all my queries and looks like I will be buying the camera! Many thanks

?? Guess it could still be OK if you are not paying more than US$75 including a NEW battery. But there are more up-to-date cameras with better IQ and and ease of use now.

Rick

OK RJM this would be my first venture into digiscoping and really it is based on a desire to maximise use of my scope and avoid the expense of a telephoto lens. Of course I have used a hand held compact against the eyepiece but...... very serious limitations! I am looking to keep my costs to about GBP 250. I definitely want to do it on the cheap and would be looking to connect via DA10 Adaptor & Ring. I should stress this is a first venture and understand this is a fairly complex activity so it is about getting started, suck and see, and if results are promising then I might be tempted to spend more. I think a p5100 would be a good start but am open to persuasion.

The P5100 is a great camera especially for the price, you can pick one up for about £150 on ebay.
I have the P5000, the same camera with less pixels, I am happy with the IQ although its a little sluggish to autofocus.
The more modern cameras have faster autofocus and work better at high ISO.

Look at this for examples http://www.flickr.com/photos/revs45/sets/72157600205421154/

I was out today digiscoping with my P5000 attached to nikon ed82

Attachments

• DSCN0740-1.JPG
    DSCN0740-1.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 143
There are a multitude of threads here concerning which current cameras are best for digiscoping. The issue you will have is using the DA10 by itself as a connection method. as there are only a few cameras with lens threads. The DA4 universal adapter is certainly expensive, but allows for greater freedom in P&S camera selection.

The P5100 has an ideal lens but the camera's IQ, functions and operation leave alot to be desired. I don't pay attention to what used cameras sell for outside Japan but given its age, I would not pay much more than US$75 for one and with a new battery included too as the original battery would be on its last legs by now.

FWIW, the best price at auction in Japan for a mint condition P5100 including all the TC lens options, extra batteries and memory cards is still under 10,000 yen while a body alone is ~3,000 yen.

Rick

Thanks

Thanks for your replies and help, I suspect I am about to start on a new learning curve! If asble I will post some samples in due course. Gerry

Samples and initial observations

Well I am up and running so to speak as I bought the p5100 and was able to buy the parts to connect it to my eyepiece. I am staggered by the range of the combined parts. The pole pic subject was about 1 km from me. However I really don't know what I am doing! There is way to much movement from the various parts and it is difficult to get the target in the the viewfinder and then snap. The shutter seems to be a bit slow and needs a bit of pressure which in turn shakes the camera. Anyhow I am excited by the prospects of getting some decent shots once I know what I am doing.

Attachments

• DSCN0070.jpg
    DSCN0070.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0044.jpg
    DSCN0044.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0100.jpg
    DSCN0100.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 123
Hi all,

I'm still not really happy when digiscoping with my Kowa 883 with the 20-60 zoom and Coolpix P5100. I mostly use an SRB Griturn alignment collar which is OK if the light is good and the bird perching up on a twig.

I also have an SRB Griturn alignment sleeve. This really isn't a good fit and I can't do a great deal with it.

I'm looking for another way as I want to use my scope and then bring in the camera. The SRB Griturn swing-out system seems to mean that I would have to remove the eyecup. This is something I don't want to do as it defeats the object of a swing out system.

Can anyone recommend a good cost effective solution. I'm not up to making my own adaptors.

Cheers

John

Afraid having to remove the rubber eycup is pretty much a requirement of any effective camera adapter. It really is not a viewing issue though. The Kowa DA4, while pricey, is the most elegant, small/light swing out adapter made. Hey, still cheaper than Swaro/Leica/Zeiss kit!

Hey just to say I am making reasonable progress with my Kowa rig and P5100. It is a serious shock to the system, a whole new ball game and the truth is I am struggling to get a decent focus. But I am definitely getting there and enjoying the learning curve. Too early to offer suggestions or advice but I certainly have been given some great advice by people. Many thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back