• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bowman

Last week I had the chance to lool for a very short time through Kowa 8X42 and 10X42. I was very impressed with their optical quality and would compare them to Leica-Swarovski-Zeiss.
I would like to share this with others and hear comments from people who use them about both their optical and mechanical qualities.

Kowa 8x32 BD

I just noticed that there is a new high end Kowa at 8x32 with FOV over 400 ft at 1000. I am tempted but wait for one of our BF comrades to share experience. not any Kowa bino dealers in my neck o' the woods. Thanks!

Bowman said:
Last week I had the chance to lool for a very short time through Kowa 8X42 and 10X42. I was very impressed with their optical quality and would compare them to Leica-Swarovski-Zeiss.
I would like to share this with others and hear comments from people who use them about both their optical and mechanical qualities.

Not even one relevant reply???

Bowman said:

Bowman said:

How much are they?
Are they roof prisms?

Kowa have just released the new genesis range at the birdfair and they are fan bloody tastic. They are world beaters IMO, they are coming soon.

Sorry, perhaps a poor choice of words 'released' the bins were there but like the new scopes they are not on their web sight yet, may be there soon.

Kowa 8x32

I just ordered a Kowa 8x32 from B&H Photo video and should have it in 3-5 days then I will post another review of this binocular these have schmidt-Pechan prisms fully multi coated optics large field of view at 393 or 402 can not remember c3 coatings and much more made in Japan unlike Nikon Monarchs made in China now !Kowa makes high Quality optics and top Quality spotting scopes thier binoculars are the same I NEVER heard a bad thing about them only praise in optical Brightness Quality They are the closest to a Swarovski or other top end without the high price tag Same optic Quality than a Kahles 8x32 that sells for $636.00 double of a Kowa price B&H photo has the 8x42 also ,I did a lot of online research before deciding on this model .

I will post a review of the new Kowa 8.5x44 Prominar (Genesis) in the review section, in comparison to Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804ED and Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL.
The one thing that holds me up is the expected arrival, in a couple of days, of a Kowa 8x32 BD, which I'd like to include as well.

Patience please.

Renze

I went throughn the range of the Kowa bins at the Birdfair, IMO best buy would be the 8.5x 44. Have to say if I was in the market for new bins I would buy these ahead of all the others. Felt very comfortable in the hand and optically they were fine but most of all cheaper than the other big names I believe.

I posted a review of the Kowa XD 8.5x44 Prominar, called Genesis in the US (only?). See the review section.
I'd be delighted to see any questions, comment or what have you posted in response. Just drop them here.

Renze

Good review. And good comments on weight and ergonomics.

If I like a binocular, it still has to be 700g or less and I have to like the eye cups. I have one good pair that is almost 800g. I am struggling a bit. I slung it over my shoulder last time.

I agree the Kowa binoculars are top notch in quality both build and optics I bought the 8x32s but I do not care for the focuser turning the opposite direction !? to the left instead of the right like most binoculars Do the Kowa 8x42 focus to the right ? other than that these are superb yes I looked through a pair of swarovski 8x30 and a Leica bn 8x42 and these Kowa optics are so good that I can not tell the differnce they even brighten up viewing in shaded dark areas and bring out the images clear and sharp with amazing detail These little known Binoculars are a big surprise to anyone wanting the high quality of Swarovski,Leica or Zeiss without paying the extra $1,000 plus in price I suggest people give these a try they will be impressed I am.

Just to add,
I compared those Kowa 8x32 to Zeiss Victory 8x32 and there WAS a difference..
Kowa was a good compromise though, but Zeiss was better, mmm, sweeter i think... ; )

Another impulse buy on eBay... Kowa BD 10x32, 'secondhand' but unused, new in box, from a lady optician (who won it in a photo competition) at the bargain price of £150; it arrived today and first impressions are very good. Well made, fine optics, padded strap & case. This Kowa retails for £299 - £391 in UK, so I'm 'over the moon'. Update will follow when I've had time to assess this 'little gem'. I now have Kowa power !

"If I allude to a binocular, it must be an optical allusion..."

Another impulse buy on eBay... Kowa BD 10x32, 'secondhand' but unused, new in box, from a lady optician (who won it in a photo competition) at the bargain price of £150; it arrived today and first impressions are very good. Well made, fine optics, padded strap & case. This Kowa retails for £299 - £391 in UK, so I'm 'over the moon'. Update will follow when I've had time to assess this 'little gem'. I now have Kowa power !

When you have had a chance of a proper test of them James, I would be interested in your findings. I have only read one review on here of them, in comparison with a Minox 8x32 (or 8x33), which sounded very favourable. It seems there aren't many people out there using them, unlike Kowa's scopes,

Steve

Hi Steve, I haven't used the Kowa BD 10x32 'in the field' to any extent yet, just garden viewing, but here are some 'second impressions'... Green rubber covering is similar to the Swarovski kind (I handled a friend's Swaro' for a few minutes): not 'sticky' or 'slippy' and quite 'softish', not hard. Build quality pretty impressive (made in Japan). IPD adjustment is stiff enough to stay put; twist-up eyecups have click-stops, 2 intermediate positions; focus is smooth/quite fast, in/out in a few millimetres' turn (a little too fast for me, but tolerable) and it goes 'the wrong way' (anticlockwise to infinity) although I have two others which do that (Olympus and Opticron); it's comfortable to hold and compact, my small/medium hands virtually covering this Kowa in use; neoprene strap is well made and padded, as is the case, though I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer leather; view is clear, and brighter than I expected of a 10x32 (modern coatings, I expect); field is not as wide (6 degrees) as I'm used to, but 10x power in such a portable bin' is very impressive. Oh, and there's the usual tripod bush hidden behind the 'Kowa' hinge disc. In summary, it's very nice; I have reason to suppose it will perform well 'out & about', even in inclement weather, since it's weatherproof too. At the price I paid, I'm quite delighted...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back