• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

This is what I want to be seeing this weekend in Lancashire!!
One of my favourite birds, and one that I have only ever seen for about 2 seconds a few years back!
I took two photo's, and would like your opinion on which is the better to post on the gallery?

Attachments

• IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4307.jpg
    IMG_4307.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 105
It's a fantastic little painting Zac..

I prefer the second photo, in my opinion there is enough detail so your can afford a little more space around the bird, also nice to see plenty of background/vegetation etc to 'set the scene'

btw, is it a yellow browed? I'm rubbish with bird ID's so don't take offence if I'm wrong LOL!!

Matt

Zac I'm also vary impressed with your knowledge of bird
Taxonomy and Identification. Although I love birds My knowledge
of some of the Genera is ( I would say mediocre!) especially Small warblers,
Gulls and some waders.

As far as the yellow browed is concerned . I like it! I clicked on it and
when enlarged the backgroung I thought was very Lars' esq. Thinking
of his female spar in watercolour in particular.

this is great, I love the composition and the cold background, which gives the bird that extra bit of colour and warmth. You've foreshortened the bird very successfully, a great angle on it.

just a few fieldies from today. I aim to post some more tomorrow night after I come back from Spurn...

Attachments

• Sketch008.jpg
    Sketch008.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92
just a few fieldies from today. I aim to post some more tomorrow night after I come back from Spurn...

Woops, I read fieldfares instead of fieldies and then got confused about how oddly similar they looked to water rail, excellent posture, one of my favourite birds to draw.

Blyth's Reed, Jack snipe, Yellow browed warbler and, oh yes, dark bellied brent goose - all drawn from life and in perfect jizz. Yes I can see you 'got a few' - where's the rest? ;)
I love these thumbnail line drawings (water rail, incluided) - just the sort of fieldwork to help you produce fantastic 'real' paintings. Great work Zac - please continue.

your yellow browed is a little gem, and I'm exceedingly jealous of the jack snipe, my ambition is to sketch one on the ground.

Smashing sketches- I wish I could do half as well in the field and if you don't believe me have a look back at my last thread. Hope you are enjoying yourself- thats what it is all about.

i love that yellow browed warbler too, unfortunately for me the one i saw at the weeked was for all of about 2 seconds (just about tickable though;))

Hi Everyone.
I need some help. I am planning on turning the Blyth's into a Painting. from the two that are shown on the days fieldies, which is the better one for an inexperienced Painter?

I will ofcouse turn the popular YBW into one later, but I have only just completed one of them so, I'm not desperate for a YBW if you get me!

Zac

the best one to do is the one that you feel best about, it'll give you more drive to paint, don't worry about which is easier etc, you're doing great with your paintings, just go for the pose you like the best. (And we still want another YB Warbler!)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back