• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 diopters at infinity (1 Viewer)

etc

Directly from Zeiss:
The 8x42 Victory SF has at least -6D at infinity.

Meaning if you have myopia of -6 Diopters or less, you can use the device without any optical correction provided you do not have any astigmatism. I have -5.5 and a rare case where it's -5.5 in both barrels and almost zero astigmatism, which means I can transfer from using the unit without optical eyewear to using eyewear and not touching the diopter adjustment.

That plus super nice field of view convinces me this is the unit for me.

Given so many people with optical anomalies, I think -6D to as high as -8D should be standard value of diopters at infinity.

Swarovski EL has -6 on its 8.5 model and -8 on its 10x42 model. Leica - all models go to only -4 for contrast. So the new (relatively so) Zeiss SF has done well on this point.

Directly from Zeiss:

That plus super nice field of view convinces me this is the unit for me.

Given so many people with optical anomalies, I think -6D to as high as -8D should be standard value of diopters at infinity.

Swarovski EL has -6 on its 8.5 model and -8 on its 10x42 model. Leica - all models go to only -4 for contrast. So the new (relatively so) Zeiss SF has done well on this point.

Hello etc.,

You certainly make valid points. Only a few years ago, I needed a -7 dioptre correction, which was rarely provided in a modern binocular. Lately, my required setting is much less. So I was happy to use my 8x32 FL without my fogged glasses, today. That binocular also has a rather narrow minimum IPD. I am astigmatic but on a bright day, when my iris is "stopped down," to a narrow opening, the astigmatism is not bothersome.

Many manufacturers seem to be of the opinion that modern binoculars, with long eye relief, usually labelled "B," accommodate wearers of spectacles without having to extend the dioptre settings.

You might want to read this thread.

Enjoy your new binocular,

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

The really cool thing is, with proper Diopters at infinity, you get choices:

1. Using no eyewear at all. No glasses, no contacts. That generates the ultimate view. I hate glassing with eyewear.

2. Using contact lenses. Almost as good - and possibly better than nothing at all if the contacts correct astigmatism. If you are hiking, it's nice to wear contacts, IME.

3. Using eyeglasses- with proper eye relief that is not such a deal breaker. But with binos that have insufficient Diopters at Infinity value, such as Leica, that is the *only* choice you have, well and maybe (2).

Most binoculars have extensive diopter adjustment between barrels, I've never even come that close. I wonder who has -5D difference between eyes. I must be lucky because I am blind as a bat but equally so in both eyes, not even a 1/4 of D difference so I don't ever adjust diopters.

That means I can transition from not using anything to using contacts or eyewear in a nanosecond without having to mess with the diopter wheel which is not meant to be adjusted on a daily basis anyway. It's more of a set-once-and-forget-it type setting IMO.

I got a large set of free contact lenses that are a diopter below my prescription. It will not hurt your eyes if you wear a weaker prescription. Turns out they work well with focus past infinity overdrive, the missing diopter can be compensated by the focus overdrive past infinity. You just go an extra diopter past normal setting and works out wonderfully.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back