• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade to a D300? (1 Viewer)

BarryH

I've seen a used D300 body for sale, can anyone please advise will the lenses from my D90 fit and what is a "reasonable" number of accutations for the body to have done?

yes the lenses will fit, its a standard Nikon mount, not sure re actuation's mine has done @ 15K with no issues.
What is the primary reason for the upgrade would have though the D90 would deliver the same results

Thanks for the post Duke, can't say as I'm honestly sure.

I have a good "Canon" friend who recently bought a new lens. After having sharpness issues, he realised he could alter the focus through the cameras menu. That started us comparing cameras and got me looking at the D300.

What would you think contributed most to the IQ of a shot, lens, body, or a combination of both?

Whether I'm right or wrong, I've never fine tuned a lens and I believe I get very good results. I bought my daughter the D90 and was very impressed with it, it didn't have a few of the menu functions that I use on my D300 but its not what she would normally use anyway.
I'd say lens is the prime factor, I had some cracking shots with an old Nikon D70s, as with my current D200 and D300. any improvements in my images have been noticeable with the glass, yes the bodies play a part but IMHO its the glass that makes the biggest difference

The only lens I've had to adjust using the D300 finetune is a Sigma 150-500, none of my others seemed to be out... if they are it's so minor I've not noticed!

The only lens I've had to adjust using the D300 finetune is a Sigma 150-500, none of my others seemed to be out... if they are it's so minor I've not noticed!

I've fine tuned a couple of lenses, and it did seem to give them that extra 'pop'. I just recently tweaked on my 180 f/2.8, mainly because I'd seen folks counting this lens as one of the classic Nikkors, but it had never really worked for me. Now, it's great.

The only other tangible reason for opting for a D300 over a D90 that makes sense to me is if you want to use non-chipped MF lenses. Having the metering for AIS lenses is a real benefit. If you don't have any old glass lying around, and you're not eying a used 500 f/4 P, I'd say don't worry about it.

I think I'd shoot the D90, and wait for the next generation D300s replacement.

Jim

At the minute, Sigma 150-500 and 150 Macro. The Macro is pin sharp.

I've heard that some Nikon lenses are not "spot on" out of the box and as I'm looking for a 300mm F4 I didn't want a dissapointment.

Wrong way of doing something, if I had spent £1000 on a Nikon 300/4 (or what ever they are now) and it wasn't sharp I wouldn't be tweaking the body I would be straight back to the seller asking for another

If I had spent £1000 on a Nikon 300/4 (or what ever they are now) and it wasn't sharp I wouldn't be tweaking the body I would be straight back to the seller asking for another

That's the whole point I'm trying to make, I don't really need the hassle of having to return lenses to the shop or manufacturer. Not all lenses are 100% identical or spot on for that matter.

If I can do it in the camera, why not.

Having owned both I consider the D300 superior, not least due to handling and auto-focus accuracy and speed. A used D300 with maybe up to 15,000 clicks would be a great buy now prices are dropping. The better AF will do great with a 150-500 ... also had that combo for a time and worked very well.

That's the whole point I'm trying to make, I don't really need the hassle of having to return lenses to the shop or manufacturer. Not all lenses are 100% identical or spot on for that matter.

If I can do it in the camera, why not.

Okay if your not bothered that a £1000 lens purchase isn't working correctly go for the D300

After having sharpness issues, he realised he could alter the focus through the cameras menu
Isn't that then tweaking digitally rather than optically and therefore degrading you ability to get good shots? Maybe I'm wrong but to me the quality and performance of the lens is paramount. DL is right, if it don't work after spending £1000+ then it should go back to the supplier. SBM

Not at all - he's talking about a setting that allows you to alter how the camera tells that lens to focus. If it's always focusing a bit too close you can tell the camera to make the lens focus a bit further than it otherwise would in order to achieve correct focus. Better to have a lens that's right but if it's a small difference then probably not really worth the hassle and cost of getting it adjusted.

The first 150-500 I had was so bad it was outside the range that the D300 could correct for! The replacement one is a little out but not much, just a couple of notches.

Last edited:
Not at all - he's talking about a setting that allows you to alter how the camera tells that lens to focus. If it's always focusing a bit too close you can tell the camera to make the lens focus a bit further than it otherwise would in order to achieve correct focus. Better to have a lens that's right but if it's a small difference then probably not really worth the hassle and cost of getting it adjusted.

The first 150-500 I had was so bad it was outside the range that the D300 could correct for! The replacement one is a little out but not much, just a couple of notches.

Been reading this thread and was interested to know how the fine tuning works, is this a setting on the D300 camera?.

regards

Been reading this thread and was interested to know how the fine tuning works, is this a setting on the D300 camera?.

regards

AF Fine Tune is on the D300 as well as other, higher spec cameras in the Nikon range.

The setting can be found on the "Set Up" menu on the D300s, not sure about the other cameras. There is a range from -20 to +20 and it works as Paul (Fozzybear) above mentions.

Last edited:
Yeah, you just dial in a number, default is zero and you can go from -20 to +20. It makes the lens focus closer or further than it otherwise would. Set up the cam on a tripod, focus on a subject some distance away, take some photos with different settings of AF fine tune and pick the setting that gives the best result.

Have been experimenting with the 150-500 again, it looks like the focus at close quarters (up to say 15 feet) is really poor but as you go to mid and far distance it becomes a lot sharper and I found for that I was using a setting of zero. Results are hit and miss but that's probably down to my technique as on Saturday I got some fairly sharp and detailed shots with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back