• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80-400mm update this week? (1 Viewer)

JPAC

80-400mm update March 14th?

Priced at around £2,000 if the rumours are true.

Hope it is redesigned optically to enable TCs use. :t:

Last edited:
Yeah, I just saw this. I need one. Oh, I can't sleep. I just put my af-s 300f4 in the hospital because it's stopped focusing....I should think carefully about the cost of the repair. I've been using my non af-s 80-400 the last few days. If it had af-s I don't think I'd need anything else.

If the price is really GBP 2,000 I think that's a bit steep.

Granted it has AF-S and presumably VR II but the Canon equivalent sells for less than GBP 1,200 (though we need to remember than the Canon technology is 15 years old).

I suspect the price will be under GBP 1,500.

Glad they finally updated it! Will be interested to see how it tests out, particularly vs. the 300mm f/4 and the Sigma 50-500mm OS.

I think I'll stick with my 300 f/4 for now, at least until others have had a chance to test out the new 80-400, and until the price drops a good bit (which, admittedly, may be quite a while).

Looks pretty good - was a bit shocked by the price - will wait for the street price to come down as RJM suggested.
On a DX body, this could be a handy lens.

I agree that it is crushingly expensive, but I hope it justifies its high price tag. With the extra crop on the D7100 this could be a winning bird photography combo. Now I wonder where is that 400mm 5.6 AF-S with VR...

WEX price is £2,449.00 What a joke. This doesn't have fluorite, only VR2 and about seven years late.

Where is the 500mm f5.6?

WEX price is £2,449.00 What a joke. This doesn't have fluorite, only VR2 and about seven years late.

Where is the 500mm f5.6?

This is supposed to be an update of the existing 80-400, but it is 2.5x the price, and DOUBLE the price of the Canon equivalent...all I can say is "WAKE UP NIKON!!!"

Original vs New

Found an even better price at B&H Photo for the original version 80-400 lens.

Probably a good time to buy that one, the new one way too expensive ;)

Last edited:
Spamming the forums today with hidden affiliate links Birdman7? Everyone tryiing to get paid now it seems:(

If it's a step up in image quality, I'm happy with the price. I think if it's combined with a new body the results will be significant, FX or DX. If it was 500mm it would be heavier. This looks like a nice set up for running through the bush.

Hmm, I think the AF-S 300mm F4 will still hold its own at the tele end where we would use it most even with the TCIII 2x and it is exactly half the price.

So in a choice between having 600mm vs. 560mm, both at f8 using TCs and given its price I'd prefer buy the AF-S 300mm F4 AND the new 70-200 F4 VR for about the same money.

But that's me and I'm not buying either anyway as I already have a 300mm F2.8 VR and the awesomely cheap 70-300mm VR to cover the same range.

Last edited:
looks like the bean counters at Nikon are trying to recover some of the losses their making

Spamming the forums today with hidden affiliate links Birdman7? Everyone tryiing to get paid now it seems:(

That's an interesting observation, which I would have overlooked.

It kind of puts a different slant on the "advice" being dished out here if some people are trying to make money out of it. It feels to me, as if the forum has lost it's "innocence".

Nikon appears to be taking a cue from Canon with the significant price jump for this lens over the previous version. It does appear to be worth a bit more, but I couldn't justify purchase at near double the price of the previous version. It is also double the price of the Canon 100-400 IS, which appears very similar on a specification basis. I was equally surprised to see the big (outrageous?) price jumps Canon introduced with their super-telephotos last year. My initial thought was that those prices would drop after the eager early adopters bought theirs. That never happened, and it likely won't happen with this lens either. Perhaps this segment of the market is more price insensitive than I realize -are there that many uber-rich people out there that buy high-end camera gear on a whim?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back