• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard confirmation please, France April (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Hi there could someone confirm the attached is a Honey Buzzard please. Normally I just see standard Buzzards or Kites but this seems a mixture so I guess from the tail it's a Honey B.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 180331-DSCN2254.jpg
    180331-DSCN2254.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 135
I had just been reading about the differences between Red and Black and saw that there should be 6 wing fingers for a Black. I have uploaded the only other equally blurry shot I got - I can only really count 5.
It's the tail that has me stumped - just not what I would expect from a Kite (Red or Black). Would love it to be a Black Kite but I am starting to think it's a standard Red.

Attachments

• 180331-DSCN2249.jpg
    180331-DSCN2249.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 79
it's a Black Kite, Red Kite would never show strong barring on primary window
it also has 6 fingers but as the bird is in active flight, the 6th finger is difficult see, would it be soaring it would be easy to see

Fascinating information from everyone. Thanks guys. Never knew of the Black Kite before and now I know they have 6 fingers! A first for me. Thanks for taking the time to respond as ever. All the best.

A bird in its second calendar-year (ie still in juvenile plumage) due the strong black mask, bold underpart streaking and homogenous plumage and absence of moult.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back