• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Days in Gruissan (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
The title may be misleading because actual birding time over those three was limited but there was some quality.

Arrived in Gruissan (one of my favorites in France) on Sunday night after a Great Spotted Cuckoo outside Bezier - flew over my head whilst playing cricket - another rarety in France... Along with Hoopoe, Bee-Eater, Serin et al. It was fair to say the weather was very windy!

Managed a couple of sorties while trying to get baby asleep and starting with number one child on the Monday afternoon. Up into the mountains - La Clappe. Nothing of any real interest and then a Roller just off the main road. A quick scramble for the camera proved fruitless as the little sausage flew away but not particularly common in this area and not a bird I have seen for a long time. Up to the 'table orientation' and hang on - a Corn Bunting? No some funny head markings Rock Sparrow four of them! A tick! A Warbler calling - couldn't get the bird out but Specticled I'm sure. Hobby overhead - hoping for Eleanoras as has been seen but settle for Hobby.

Time to head for the pool.

Number two child, the one who, seemingly, lives in a different time zone, and a 6.15 start in the morning. It's Tuesday (I think - the eyes just about open). Tried the beach this time and managed to get a few Avocets and Black Winged Stilts. Although not rare always nice to watch. This is an area that has produced Slender Billed Gull and Audoins but not today. A nice Short Toed Lark - can't remember my last if at all so a tick. He came and sat by the car. Along with (Blue Headed) Yellow Wagtail and the ubiquitous Crested Larks.

Lots of Little Terns (my favourite) and Kentish Plovers. A Stint? I have a rubbish picture to post of said individual - another day. I would have expected Dunlin to be in summer plumage but I guess the likely candidate. Some Flamingos flew over but I couldn't relocate them. No gulls other than Yellow Legged.

Hit the brakes what the .... 5 Gannets! What are they doing in the Med? A drive along the beach also produced two Tawny Pipits. Stayed long enough for the photo shot - great!

Back for breakfast and the beach.

Wednesday was the vineyard tour although if you choose your vineyards well... 2 Bee-eaters the same Avocets and Black Winged Stilts, Red Legged Partridge and a belter - Woodchat Shrike I think the only pair in the area. Failed to locate one of the only Black Eared Wheatears in the area - that was on my hit list. However, did score with two more Rock Sparrows. Kestrel and Buzzard. I guess the wind has kept most things down.

The etangs were suprisingly empty as were the lacs! But did manage a Purple Heron overhead - relocated 15 mins later - and a pair of Med Gulls. Back to the wine.

Not bad for three sorties. Think what I could done with some proper time but I guess I get that back in about 15 years!!!

Will post up a couple of photos and list later....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back