• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auguste Boissonneau (1 Viewer)

Without knowing French; how do you connect this "Auguste" to the Streaked Tuftedcheek Pseudocolaptes boissonneautii LAFRESNAYE 1840 as "Anabates Boissonneautii"

I don´t say you´re wrong, I´m just curious ...

PS. OD here, pp. 104-105.

Last edited:
Cette jolie espèce nous parait appartenir, d'après la forme de ses pattes, à notre groupe des Anabates sylvains et grimpeurs; nous la dédions à M. Boissonneau, comme faisant partie de la riche collection qu'il a reçue de Bogota et comme un hommage des amis de la science, de ce qu'avant d'en livrer les nombreuses espèces à des mains étrangères, il a voulu, dans l'intérêt de cette science, en faire connaître les espèces nouvelles par ses propres descriptions ou celles des auteurs auxquels ils les a communiquées obligeamment.

"This nice species seems to us to belong, from the shape of its legs, to our group of the sylvan and climbing Anabates; we dedicate it to Mr. Boissonneau, as being part of the rich collection he received from Bogota and as a tribute from the friends of science, for that, before delivering its many species to foreign hands, he wanted, in the interest of this science, to make the new species known by his own descriptions or those of the authors to whom he obligingly gave access to them."

Here A. Boissonneau Neuve-des-Mathurins, 19 He sold attificial eyes for humans and animals ("Tant humains que ceux des autres animaux en général" in the first link I posted or here). He was member of La Société Cuvierienne (see footnote). Here they wrote as well about artifactial eyes. In year 1842 something must have happened in the Société Cuvierienne as many members left. After that he was not longer publishing in ornithology, but was still active as a professor/expert as ocularist.

Last edited:
In year 1842 something must have happened in the Société Cuvierienne as many members left.
I don't think anything happened at this particular moment.
This is a list of all the members that the Society had lost since its creation, presumably more or less in the order according to which they left. (The list seems to represent a series of consecutive, alphabetically ordered sequences.) It seems likely that only the two last names are of members who had just left at this point.

In fact his first name is Auguste. ...

If it is him (!?) I think this might be the guy you´re looking for: the French Ornithologist, naturalist, dealer in Natural History specimens and celebrated ocularist Auguste Boissonneau (18021883), who also could be titled Chevalier de l'Ordre Royal de la Couronne de Chene ... etc. etc..

Born 26 July 1802 in the town Saumur, in Maine-et-Loire, Central France ... and he died 7 July1883 in Paris. More about him, see: French or (even more thourough) German Wiki!

I can´t say he´s the guy you´re looking for, but, after a quick look around, it sure looks like it!

I haven´t got any Mr. Boissonneau in my list (of the Common Swedish Bird names, that is) so I haven´t looked at this name until now. But I think you´re on the right track! More than this I cannot add.

Good luck in any future reaseach, in pin-pointing him!

PS. As an Author (of Birds thats is) in for example "Picus Rivolii" today's Crimson-mantled Woodpecker Colaptes rivolii BOISSONNEAU 1840 (in Revue Zoologique, par la Societé Cuvierienne) Zoonomen only have "A. Boissonneau, fl. 1839" ... based on the Richmond Card I guess.

Last edited:
As there is written Nous ne pouvons malheureusement en dire autant de toutes les personnes qui composent la seconde list et nous garderons le silence à leur sujet. I think something happened. Especially as Johanes Georg Wilhelm Brandt natural dealer from Hamburg presented by Boissonneau left the La Société Cuvierienne at the same time.

Well, I cannot really reject the possibility of a dispute, but... I just don't see the evidence that one happened either.

The Society was created in 1838 and, up to this point, had only published acceptations of new members.
In early 1842, they then published a list of 47 past members, that the Society was said to have 'lost" since its creation--13 of which were declared deceased and 34 as resigning.
In late 1845 (see [here]), the number of "lost members" had grown to 135, which placed the previous 47 over 4-and-a-bit years below the average. In the same document, it is also explicitly said that members failing to pay the 18 fr. yearly subscription fee were treated as resigning de facto.
Note also that in 1842 (see [here]), they actually made a mistake in their list, declaring one of their former members as resigning, while he (M. Krinicki, residing in Poland) had in fact been dead (and thus presumably had not paid his subscription) since September 1838.

The comment you quote is obviously disapproving, but it doesn't explain anything, and I fail to see that the writer necessarily blames the resigning members for more than having stopped to pay their fee, at any point of the previous four years.

Last edited:
Mea culpa! I had previously seen the advertisement for Boissonneau's enamel false eyes, so Adolphe for Auguste must have been an erreur de frappe. Thanks for pointing it out, Martin. MS and HBWAlive Key edited.

Does anyone have evidence that Auguste Sallé was member of La Société Cuvierienne. I think he was because of:

1) In Revue Zoologique par La Société Cuvierienne 1841 it is written:
241. M. Victor Debouchel, membre de diverses sociétés savantes, auteur de L'Histoire de la Louisiane, etc., à la Nouvelle-Orléans. Presenté par M. A. Sallé
2) Louis Alexandre Auguste Chevrolat was founder of the Society here. He was the godfather (filleul) from Sallé. See dedication here.
3) The only gap I identified is No 159 or 160 (not sure). Vieusseux seems to be No 159 or 160. No 158 is M. le comte de La Ferté. No. 161 is Etienne de Kutorga.
4) Chevrolat mentioned him in the Revue of the year 1839 in context with Nouvelle-Orléans (Link to 1))

Therefore I assume Sallé was presented as No 159 or 160 by Chevrolat. But I couldn't find the final evidence.

By the way 1847 they had 316 members since foundation and they lost 147.

Last edited:
I do know that Auguste Sallé was born in 1820 in Paris and died at 5 May 1896 in Paris and 19 years of age would be very early at that time to be a member of the La Société Cuvierienne (if we take 1839 in account).

3) The only gap I identified is No 159 or 160 (not sure). Vieusseux seems to be No 159 or 160.
There is no gap here, actually:
Nouveaux membres admis dans la SOCIÉTÉ CUVIERIENNE.
Souscripteurs : MM. Vieusseux, libraire à Florence et Michelsen, libraire à Leipsig.
159. Vieussieux; 160. Michelsen. (Both booksalers, the former in Florence, the latter in Leipzig.)

By the way 1847 they had 316 members since foundation and they lost 147.
At the end of 1847 and since the foundation, they had inscribed a total of 316 names on their member list.
Of these and since the foundation, they had lost 167, either due to death, or due to resignation (= failure to pay the fee).
(But during 1847 itself ("cette année"), they only lost 9 members, who are listed by name: 2 who had died ("mort"), 7 who had resigned ("démiss.").)
Thus at the end of 1847, they retained 316 - 167 = 149 members. (20 of which were exempt from paying the fee, hence the society had to live of the subscription fees of 129 members.)

Last edited:
Thank you Laurent. I read it wrong. It is still a miracle for me how he could present a new member if he was not as well member. But I take it as a fact. As this the only gap I found until 1847 I conclude that Sallé was no member. And 147 lost was of course a typo :t:

Last edited:
I was curious if Auguste Boissonneau have had an additional name. But from here p. 62 of 88 I would say no. So there he was born at 7 Messidor X. Couldn't find his death in Ètat civil
Paris.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back